If you haven’t already heard the buzz, Aloha Poke Company has brought the delicious Hawaiian dish to Chicago. This poke restaurant, located in the French Market, already has super long lines and tons of regulars. So what makes this place so special? I just had to find out for myself.

Aloha Poke Co

Photo by Victoria Guo

This build-your-own poke stall is a dream. Since lunch isn’t until 12 pm for most people, I went about an hour before noon to try and beat the rush. When I got there, the line was already a good 30 people long. I didn’t mind waiting since it was my first time there and I wanted to check out the menu and portion sizes first. I thought about getting their biggest size, the kahuna, but ended up just getting their big size which was 16 oz.

Aloha Poke Co

Photo by Victoria Guo

The first thing you do is pick your base. You can choose between white rice, brown rice, and mixed greens. I opted for brown rice. After picking your base, you move on to your choice of poke. I added both naked tuna and salmon to my bowl after being persuaded to try that. The last step is picking your toppings. As someone who’s indecisive, I ended up making it an 808, which means that I got everything on my bowl. And for the sauce, since I can’t have sesame due to allergies, I chose spicy aioli.

Aloha Poke Co

Photo by Victoria Guo

The taste was unbelievable. There really isn’t a good way to describe it other than saying that it was heavenly. Everything in the bowl was fresh and the flavors all mixed together really well. I was especially surprised by the freshness of the fish. Since I got the un-marinated tuna and salmon, I was able to taste their natural flavor. Both of them tasted like premium cuts of sashimi from a sushi restaurant.

So next time you find yourself near the French Market, make sure to head over to Aloha Poke Co. I guarantee that you’ll love any combination you choose. They’re not just hype.