Locopops is a Durham treasure that serves up delicious popsicles at its cute little storefront on Hillsborough Road, not too far from campus. They sell both cream-based and water-based pops: 10 original flavors are always served,  as well as a few rotating specials, like Fluffernutter or Cinnamon Apple Cider. It's a favorite warm-weather spot for both Duke and dog-lovers - they even have pops for pups!

milk, grass, beef
Katie Loftus

We took it upon ourselves to try their ten most popular flavors. Here are our thoughts:

10. Sea Salt Caramel

milk, coffee
Katie Loftus

This cream-based popsicle is the only flavor I was truly disappointed by. In general, I'm a huge fan of sea salt caramel. However, the texture of this popsicle was kind of gritty and the flavor was a little bland. I couldn’t really taste the sea salt, so overall it just tasted pretty plain. 

9. Mango Chile

water, beer, ice
Katie Loftus

This popsicle packed some serious heat, which may have been the reason we didn't love it as much as the others. It had a spot-on consistency that made us feel as though we were biting into a slice of frozen mango, but the cayenne hit us like a time-bomb. At first, all we could taste was a fruity smoothness, exactly what you'd expect from puréed mango. Then, almost a minute later, the spicy burning hit the backs of our throats and lingered for a long time. If you decide to go for this fruit-based pop, be prepared -it's delicious, but it's definitely more spicy than refreshing 

8. Chocolate Brownie

coffee, espresso, chocolate, milk
Katie Loftus

This is one of their most popular flavors, and I can tell why. The chocolate base itself is good, but the brownie chunks elevate it to a whole new level. And let me tell you, they are not stingy with the brownie chunks. This is a safe but great go-to choice.  

7. Cherry Lime

candy, sweet, popsicle, ice, chocolate, strawberry, lollipop, cream
Katie Loftus

This was an absolutely classic flavor. True to its name, this popsicle is both sweet and refreshingly tangy. The lime and cherry juices in it complement each other nicely, but the tartness of the citrus flavor came through a bit stronger than the other. It was the kind of frozen treat that reminded us of summer when we were children -probably because we tried it on a hot day, and we couldn't eat fast enough to keep it from dripping down our arms. 

6. Mojito

ice, cream, milk
Katie Loftus

Although it didn't taste quite like a mojito, we were still huge fans of this flavor. It had an excellent citrus flavor that was reminiscent of lemonade, but with a minty twist. It reminded us more of Italian ice than our favorite alcoholic beverage, but nonetheless, it didn't disappoint. 

5. Cookies & Cream

coffee, tea, beer, espresso
Katie Loftus

Similar to the chocolate fudge brownie, the Oreo chunks are the selling point of this popsicle. I am personally a little underwhelmed by the bites with only vanilla, but the bites with Oreos more than make up for it. If you are a fan of Oreos dipped in milk, then this is the popsicle for you. This is also the most photogenic of the LocoPops, so don’t forget to snap a pic.  

4. Strawberries & Cream

ice, ice cream, popsicle, cream, strawberry
Katie Loftus

This popsicle is creamy and fresh and filled with real strawberry chunks. It’s a little tangy, and almost tastes like a frozen smoothie on a stick. It’s perfectly refreshing for enjoying outside on a warm day.   

3. Vegan Chocolate Brownie

coffee, ice, chocolate, cream
Katie Loftus

In an unexpected twist, we actually loved this vegan alternative even more than the original cream-based brownie popsicle. We felt like the texture was thicker and fudgier than the regular one, and the chunks of brownie were just as good, if not chocolatier, somehow. We're not sure what kind of vegan magic LocoPops worked on this particular popsicle, but we highly recommend it. 

2. Mexican Chocolate

coffee, espresso, chocolate
Katie Loftus

Mexican chocolate has a special place in my heart, since it was the first LocoPop I ever ate and I was hooked from the first bite. The cinnamon perfectly complements the chocolate, and the hint of spice adds a complexity to the flavor that’s lacking in plain chocolate popsicles. If you’re looking for a twist on a childhood favorite, I highly recommend this flavor. 

And the winner was... 

1. Pomegranate Black Currant

strawberry, ice
Katie Loftus

This was a truly superb popsicle. While it was a flavor combo we never would have thought up on our own, the sweetness of the black currants mingled with the tartness of the pomegranate juice to create a deep, complex fruity flavor. If its rich, ruby color doesn't win you over the moment you unwrap it, the first bite will definitely have you hooked 

Next time you're in the mood for a frozen treat, be sure to stop by Locopops