If you’re anything like me, caffeine isn’t just an energy boost, it’s a way of life. Coffee is sacred; you’ll rarely see me in class without a latte in hand. Lucky for me, I go to school in a city with an abundance of amazing coffee shops. So if you’re bored of that typical double double from Tims, but not quite ready to start an espresso bar from your dorm room, here are seven of my favourite coffee shops from around Halifax.

1. Lion and Bright

Halifax

Photo by Briana Rutherford

If you’re looking for a great study vibe, this café is all you need. Even though it’s a little bit of a trek from campus, it’s well worth the walk. With a bar, attached grocery store, and amazing coffee, this café has everything. Also, if you’re looking to get your brunch on, they have some great menu items, particularly the Brussels Sprouts Hash (don’t knock it till ya try it).

2. Coburg Coffee

Halifax

Photo by Briana Rutherford

Hands down Coburg Coffee is my favourite coffee shop on campus. With a diverse menu and incredible coffee, you can’t go wrong with any order, though I would highly recommend the avocado toast. Not only that, the staff is friendly and, especially considering stick figures are the extent of my artistic ability, I am constantly amazed by the latte art. Whether you’re on a cute coffee date or cramming for your next exam, Coburg is a great choice.

3. The Smiling Goat

Halifax

Photo by Briana Rutherford

With two locations close to campus, The Smiling Goat is an easily accessible gateway to amazing coffee. Every barista seems to be an expert; the coffee is consistently smooth and each drink is beautifully crafted. The Smiling Goat is one of my favourite coffee shops to go to when I’m running late and need to grab a quick latte on my way to class.

4. Humani-T Café

Halifax

Photo courtesy of @humani_tcafe on Instagram

Humani-T is known for it’s great menu, gelato selection, and enviable location. Another café with a great study vibe, I’ve spent hours working here while enjoying a scenic view of South Park street and sipping a latte. Additionally, their soup of the day is always delicious and not to mention gluten and dairy free.

5. Just Us! Coffee and Tea House

Halifax

Photo by Briana Rutherford

Another café located extremely close to campus, Just Us! quite possibly has the coziest vibe of all the listed coffee shops. Step one foot in the door and you’ll feel like you’re in your own living room. This makes it yet another great study spot. Additionally, it was Canada’s first Fair Trade coffee roaster, proving it’s possible to run business efficiently AND ethically.

6. Narrow Espresso

Halifax

Photo courtesy of www.narrowespresso.com

This coffee shop is tucked away in a little corner downtown, so it doesn’t always get the recognition it deserves. However, the coffee is delectable, and introducing your friends to this largely undiscovered gem of a coffee shop will have them thanking you for being the coffee connoisseur that you are. Don’t forget to pick up one of their homemade pastries when you visit.

7. Pavia Gallery

Halifax

Photo courtesy of paviagallery.com

Last but not least, there’s the Pavia Gallery. This lovely café is actually located in the Halifax Public Library. In fact, they liked it so much there are two of them, one on the ground floor and one on the top floor. Personally, I love going all the way up to the top floor so I can enjoy a latte, scribble some notes, and enjoy the scenic view of downtown Halifax from five stories up.