House of Cards proves that lawmakers are just like us; they work long hours and whip votes over plastic cafeteria trays. As a Congressional intern, I am constantly in awe of the important people who use the same bathrooms, roam the same halls and eat in the same cafeterias as me.

With the quality of ingredients, variety, and insanely low prices found throughout the Capitol Hill eateries, it’s no wonder that Frank Underwood spent so many years in the House before plotting his rise to the top. Here are some top Congressional eateries worthy of a Majority Whip.  

BYOB

eat

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

This burger counter is located in the Rayburn House Office Building and serves up everything from chicken tenders to turkey burgers. But the simple beef patty is the way to go, especially on a pretzel bun. Pick 3 toppings (the best are caramelized onions, pickles, or any of the fresh veggies) and you have a tasty meal for under $4.

When Congressmen and women are feeling indulgent, they order a side of sweet potato fries or onion rings for an extra $1.25.

Longworth Cafeteria

eat

Photo courtesy of cookrepublic.com

There are endless options at this cafeteria, the largest cafeteria on the House side of the Hill. But in true Frank Underwood style, head to the comfort food station for some grub reminiscent of his South Carolina district. For $3, Frank could get a heaping plate of mac and cheese, collard greens and a biscuit

Rayburn Cafeteria

eat

Claire is constantly bothering Frank to take better care of himself. While I cannot confirm if the House gym has a rowing machine (as Claire would prefer), the healthy eating options are abundant. The salad bar is more than just lettuce and raw vegetables.

Grab a container and fill it to the brim with diced sweet potatoes, orzo salad, hard boiled eggs and more for just 48 cents an ounce.

The Creamery

eat

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

Even the most intimidating of lawmakers crave a sweet, cold treat now and then. The Creamery, located in the Longworth basement, serves up coffee and homemade ice cream. It is the perfect place to indulge if a bill you have been championing fails. We all deserve to occasionally eat our feelings.    

Free Lunches

eat

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

There are multiple lunch meetings or briefings each day that are open for staffers or interns to attend. They usually consist of sandwiches or boxed lunches. The holy grail of free lunches is when Chick-Fil-A caters. I may or may not have smuggled out extra crispy chicken sandwiches, on multiple occasions. Frank Underwood does the same, right? 

The Underwoods and their staff are constantly working to climb the ranks, which of course would be impossible on an empty stomach. Visitors of Congressmen and Congresswomen eat at the House cafeterias all the time, you can join them too.

Dress nicely, leave anything that would not pass a security checkpoint at home and you are ready to eat in Congressional style.

Here are a few more articles to help you embrace your inner Underwood: