One of the many things that makes us Texans so passionate about our state is our take on traditional Mexican food, commonly referred to as Tex-Mex. Houston in particular is known for its spicy and savory Tex-Mex – perfect for any time of day, but is also an absolutely amazing way to kick off your weekend. If you ever find yourself in Houston, first thank your lucky stars you’re in Texas, and second, try these delicious brunch places.

1. Backstreet Cafe

Tex-Mex

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

If you’re craving southern comfort food such as Texas Gulf Shrimp & Stone-ground Cheese Grits, or your classic Migas, then Backstreet is the place to go. The restaurant has options to dine comfortably outside on the patio or inside the 30 era’s style house. Order the Southern Fried Chicken and pair it with a Backstreet Bloody Mary and your hangover is guaranteed to be cured.

2. Tiny Boxwood’s 

Tex-Mex

Photo courtesy of @tinyboxwoods on Instagram

When brunching at Tiny’s, you tend to forget that you are eating in the middle of the bustling city. Tiny’s ambiance makes you feel as though you are eating at a cafe in Tuileries. Lattes are served in round, bottomless mugs and every Houstonian knows that Tiny’s bakes the best chocolate chip cookies in the city. It is a crime to go to Tiny Boxwoods and not order one (or two…) of their famous, perfectly under-baked chocolate chip cookies despite the time of day.

3. Hugo’s

Tex-Mex

Photo courtesy of pinterest.com

When brunching at Hugo’s, you get a true taste of Texas in addition to a taste of the Mexican culture. Hugo’s brunch features 2 different options: you can order from the set brunch menu or choose the special brunch buffet (offered only on Sundays).

The brunch menu entails traditional Mexican food such as Huevos Rancheros, Chilaquiles and Enchiladas de Pollo. The brunch buffet includes a variety of Mexican food, desserts, as well as cocktails. Listen to Hugo’s live house band while eating endless amounts of chips and queso. Eating at Hugo’s will be sure to revitalize you and give you a great, spicy start to your morning. Extra tip: wear some kind of stretchy pants.

4. Adair Kitchen

Tex-Mex

Photo courtesy of houston.culturemap.com

Adair Kitchen is a classic Houston restaurant, known for their simple (yet flavorful) organic foods. Adair Kitchen features traditional breakfast foods such as Buttermilk Pancakes, the classic Tex-Mex Breakfast Tacos, and Balsamic Eggs. Be sure to order a side of tasty grits with your meal in order to fully complete the classic, southern breakfast.

5. Liberty Kitchen Oyster Bar

Tex-Mex

Photo courtesy of 365thingsaustin.com

Liberty Kitchen also known as “the Kitchen” is a neighborhood friendly restaurant that only uses locally grown produce. Liberty Kitchen’s brunch menu features fresh fish that gets delivered daily. Choose from a variety of fresh seafood such as Crab, Shrimp & Andouille Gumbo, Fresh Oysters, or True Seafood Cocktails. If you’re not feeling the love for seafood, go with more traditional breakfast options like Vanilla-Cinnamon French Toast. If you really want to channel your inner-Texan, order Game Day Taco Plate or the Cowboy Surfers Po-Boy sandwich.