Going out to eat when you’re allergic to gluten can be extremely difficult, especially when the restaurant offers a salad as its only gluten-free option. Don’t get me wrong, I can appreciate a good salad every once in a while. But when you’re going to eat at a restaurant where there’s nothing for you to eat but a salad, it usually isn’t fun.

This allergy has become more and more common in the past few years and thankfully restaurants have begun to adjust their menus accordingly. If you’re visiting Hawaiʻi, specifically the island of Oʻahu, here is a handful of restaurants that offer gluten-friendly dishes so that you donʻt have another salad.

1. Waialua Bakery

gluten

Photo courtesy of @waialuabakery on Instagram

This little restaurant on the North Shore of Oʻahu has plenty to offer for anyone on a gluten-free diet. They have home-made sandwich bread that they can make just about any of their amazing sandwich creations on. They also have a bakery counter that has multiple gluten-free cookies and turtle balls, which are a mix of oats, peanut butter, and chocolate chips that are irresistible. No, seriously. Every time I go there I have to get one, or maybe three.

Waialua Bakery also makes their own gluten-free granola, so all of their açaí bowls can be enjoyed by a non-gluten eater.

2. Aloha Crepes

gluten

Photo courtesy of @alohacrepes on Instagram

I don’t know how they did it, but Aloha Crepes has created a gluten-free crepe wrap that tastes just like the real deal. Whether you’re craving something sweet or savory, this place has gotcha covered. Try the Baroccoli Obama Alfredo if you’re in the mood for a dinner crepe or the Banana Jamma if you want a desert crepe. Or have the desert crepe for dinner. We won’t judge.  They’re also open until 11pm on Fridays and Saturdays, so when you get that late-night crepe craving you’ll know exactly where to go.

3. The Nook Neighborhood Bistro

gluten

Photo courtesy of @shelly.mae on Instagram

Giving up gluten means giving up Belgium Waffles, which may actually be the epitome of sadness. Fortunately, The Nook has perfected the gluten-free Mochi Waffle topped with condensed milk whipped cream and matcha powder. You can now balance waffles and your gluten-free diet in perfect harmony. If you feel like you’re missing gluten a little extra, you can try their gluten-free version of chicken and waffles.

The Nook also offers gluten-free bread for eggs Benedict with cooked and seasoned kale or some pork belly.

4. Sprout Sandwich Shop

gluten

Photo courtesy of @sproutwich on Instagram

Whether you’re a vegan, bacon lover, or somewhere in between, this sandwich shop won’t disappoint. They can make all of their sandwiches non-toasted or panini style. For your gluten-eating friends, a ciabatta bread is offered but they can accommodate your diet with their gluten-free bread on any of their sandwiches. They also offer cold pressed juices and fresh kombucha to drink.

#SpoonTip: There isn’t much seating at Sprout so it is best to get your sandwiches to go. Maybe plan a picnic at Kapiʻolani Park next to Diamond Head.

5. Tucker & Bevvy Breakfast

gluten

Photo courtesy of @tuckerandbevvyhi on Instagram

If you’re going out to brunch with your friends and worried you won’t find something to eat, do not fear. Tucker & Bevvy Breakfast restaurant has plenty to offer. They have multiple egg plates that don’t contain gluten and they can even make you gluten-free chicken fried rice. This Aussie-based restaurant is mostly brekkie food, but if you’re in the mood for something else, they also have a variety of sandwiches that can be put on their gluten-free bread.

The great thing about this restaurant is that they are very knowledgeable about what items on their menu contain any trace of gluten. They are also aware of any potential cross-contamination that could occur.