Union Market considers itself an “urban village,” specifically an edible one. Union Market exemplifies the trends and characteristics that make DC a one-of-a-kind place. The 20-minute journey from campus is definitely worth the trip.

Union Market

Photo by Camille Reisfield

1. BBQ Joint’s Pulled Pork

Union Market

Photo by Camille Reisfield

The BBQ Joint’s smoky Maryland-style pulled pork with a wide selection of homemade BBQ sauces is mouthwatering. The stand refines local flavors and is a great example of what makes Union Market unique – it brings together innovators from the city and allows them to make their mark on the DC food scene.

2. Mexican + Korean = TaKorean

Union Market

Photo by Camille Reisfield

TaKorean’s perfect blend of Mexican and Korean cuisine can be served in your choice of soft corn tacos, slaw bowls, or rice bowls. Every bite reflects the international tastes of DC and merges them with a DMV stamp of approval.

3. Plenty of Pop-Ups

Union Market

Photo by Camille Reisfield

The pop-ups can inspire you to try new, delectable things. Arepa Zone’s main dish, arepas, are delicious, but their cachapas introduced me to another side of Venezuelan cuisine. These grilled sweet corn pancakes folded over cheese or sliced meat made me want to book a flight instantly. So did the bite sized baklava pieces from the D.C. Mediterranean corner. But then, you’ll quickly remember just how accessible and original the savors of Washington, DC can be.

4. You Scream, I Scream, We All Scream…

Union Market

Photo courtesy of @dolcezzagelato from Instagram

For Ice Cream! Trickling Springs Creamery’s seasonal, local ice cream or any flavor from Dolcezza, especially their salted caramel gelato, can make for a sweet ending to a great meal.

5. The Possibilities Are Endless

Union Market

Photo courtesy of @unionmarketdc from Instagram

Union Market’s spread doesn’t stop there. It includes bread puddingempanadas, baked goods, soups, coffee, biscuits, chocolates, dosa, and much more. You can stock up on spices from the bazaar, pick up fresh and handmade pasta, or grab wine to bring a little bit of the market home with you. Union Market can be made personal: your experience sticks with you.

#SpoonTip: The Market can easily feel like a bustling food haven, however, Emporiyum more than doubles the number of vendors and visitors, which means even more deliciousness per square foot.