Without a traditional tailgate on weekends at GW, you (along with most students) probably find yourself off to brunch with friends. When most of us think of where to “brunch”, we go for the typical Founding Farmers or District Commons close to campus. Now don’t get me wrong, these places are still substantial brunch options—but it’s about time you expand those DC horizons. The following 4 brunch spots are places that should be at the top at everyone’s eating to-do list:

Ping Pong Dim Sum

brunch spots

Photo courtesy of Ping Pong Dim Sum

For $39.00 per person, you get one asian-inspired entrée of your choice along with unlimited amounts of dim sum and bakery goods. Personally, I would recommend the unorthodox version of chicken and waffles—the sesame seed crusted fried chicken paired with the matcha green tea Belgian waffles is too good to pass up. Don’t forget to order extra lemongrass and ginger maple syrup to drizzle on top. Our favorite part of all, though, are Ping Pong’s  “deconstructed” mimosas complete with popping pearls and exotic juices like lychee and kiwi.

Expensive

Location: 1 Dupont Circle NW, Washington, DC 20036
Hours: Monday – Thursday 11:30am – 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday 11:30am – 12:00am, Sunday 11:00am – 10:00pm

Barcelona

brunch spots

Photo courtesy of Troy Lilly

Going to brunch requires commitment: usually, it’s your meal and activity for the day. Most people enjoy getting appetizers or tapas after work, but what Barcelona has done—taking the Spanish staple of tapas and turning it into brunch—is incredibly delicious and won’t break the bank. With small plates ranging anywhere from $3.50-$10.50 you’ll truly feel like you’re dining abroad while at Barcelona.

average

Location: 1622 14th St NW, Washington, DC 20009
Hours: Sunday & Monday 4:00pm – 12:00am, Tuesday – Thursday 4:00pm – 2:00am, Friday 2:00pm – 2:00am, Saturday 11:00am – 2:00am

Blue Duck Tavern

brunch spots

Photo courtesy of Blue Duck Tavern

Right inside of the Park Hyatt Hotel is one of Washington’s little brunch gem’s: Blue Duck Tavern. With their “open” kitchen, you’ll get to see exactly where and how your food is prepped (we love this). Blue Duck’s extensive brunch menu offers all your traditional brunch options, as well as some not-so-traditional items. Try the homemade pecan sticky bun—it’ll blow your mind.

Expensive

Location: 1201 24th St NW, Washington, DC 20037
Hours: Monday – Thursday 6:30am – 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday 6:30am – 11:00pm, Sunday 6:30am – 10:00pm

Tabard Inn

brunch spots

Photo courtesy of Tabard Inn

Tabard Inn has been a staple in DC for close to a century (it opened in 1922!) and has impressively kept up with the brunch lifestyle we know and love. On Saturday and Sunday you can dine among décor from the early 1920’s while learning more about Washington’s history. Munching on the house made fried doughnuts is a must, and always (yes, always) request more vanilla whipped cream on the side. Don’t forget to ask your waiter about the history of the hotel and establishment, they’re always excited to share.

average

Location: 1739 N St NW. Washington, DC 20036
Hours: Monday – Thursday 7:00am – 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday 7:00am – 11:00pm, Sunday 7:00am – 10:00pm