Cheers, my friends, to another fall semester that’s already greeted us with readings on readings on readings. I think it’s safe to say coffee is already our best friend. Before you order your basic grande Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbs, consider expanding your coffee horizons. Did our FRIENDS squad go to a chain coffee shop? What about Lorelai and Rory Gilmore? NOPE. Here are three Harrisonburg shops that’ll let you take a breather from the campus rush and focus on the one thing that is really important, iced or hot?

1. Black Sheep Coffee

Coffee

Photo by Jake Toth

Located in the newly opened Ice House right off of South Liberty Street in Downtown Harrisonburg, Black Sheep Coffee provides a chill study environment. Be a hipster for a day. Order yourself an espresso, treat yourself to a house made cherry chocolate chip scone, and take a seat in one of their ottoman chairs or at a table on the patio.

Enjoy the background music and be inspired to knock out some assignments by the “Work Hard and Be Nice to People” sign that hangs on the wall #ZenAF.

2. Shenandoah Joe

Coffee

Photo by Jake Toth

Benny’s Pizza food coma? Easy fix. Head next door to Shenandoah Joe’s for a cup of coffee that’ll wake you up and have ya ready for another round of your calculus practice problems.

Or, if you’re feeling like socializing, head on down here to meet some friends for a session of cappuccinos and life talks. It has a Central Perk feel to it, so for all you Friends fans, this is the place for you.

3. Greenberry’s: Coffee and Tea Company

Coffee

Photo by Jake Toth

If you’re a person who loves a quick cup of coffee on the go, but tired of your grande Venti Iced Coffee from Starbucks, Greenberry’s is the place for you. Two words: drive-thru. You can get a variety of options, which is what makes it a popular site in Harrisonburg.

While you’re waiting for your Chai Tea Latte, make sure to check out the flyers posted on the counter.  Branch out and visit Greenberry’s next time you’re craving a mocha or tea. It’ll definitely leave you with extra dining dollars to use on donuts and Auntie Anne’s.