Every time I tell someone I go to Vanderbilt, they start raving about how amazing the food is in Nashville. If you think that this city is just for the southerners at heart, you are absolutely wrong. There is everything from sushi, to grilled cheese on a truck, to raw vegan food.
Since you could literally go to school here for four years and eat somewhere new every day, I have narrowed it down to just 27 of the best things around, in no particular order.
Start munching. Now.
1. Biscuits at Loveless Cafe
A Nashville staple, Loveless is famous for their biscuits. What makes them better than any other biscuit? You just have to wait on line and try them for yourself.
2. Dark Chocolate and Wildberry Lavender Ice Cream Cone at Jeni’s Ice Cream
Jeni’s is the only ice cream that you don’t even need toppings for — that’s how good their flavors are. #SpoonTip: They will not stop you from sampling three or four flavors, so be as obnoxious as you want.
3. Cinnamon Sugar Donuts at Josephine’s
A classier version of your usual hungover donut and coffee run.
4. Custom Omelette with Kale, Avocado, Tomato and Mozzarella Cheese at Frothy Monkey
You could customize a different breakfast every day here without getting bored.
5. Sweet Potato Tots and Marshmallow Dipping Sauce at Flip Burger Boutique
Every burger spot has burgers and milkshakes, so Flip Burger added sweet potato tots with marshmallow dipping sauce to their menu. Need I say more?
6. Mac and Cheese, Sea Salt French Fries and Popovers at Kayne Prime
One of the classiest steakhouses in town is notorious for its side dishes. Other delicious veggie-based options include corn bruleé (creamed corn topped with a sugary coating) and roasted roots (basically just sweet potatoes). The buttery popovers are free of charge.
7. Cheesy Scrambled Eggs, Smoked Salmon and Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Garlic Aioli Dipping Sauce at Fido
Do you ever have a 4 pm breakfast craving? Same. Eggs, potatoes and pancakes galore all freakin’ day.
8. Tater Tot Nachos at The Flipside
Two of the best things ever in one dish. Get it as an appetizer before you order the famous chicken.
9. French Fries at Tavern
These crispy fries come in Belgian, Tuscan or Tennessee style. You should probably order them all to find out exactly what that means. #SpoonTip: Brown sugar and sea salt are involved.
10. Fried Quinoa Burger at Burger Up
This is actually better than their beef patties. Get it on a bun with toppings or over a salad, but make sure to use their dijon aioli.
11. Burrata and Butternut Squash at Moto
The cheese will literally melt in your mouth and you will definitely order at least two more.
12. Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Pancakes at Pancake Pantry
If you ever thought it was impossible to finish five huge pancakes in one sitting, you will stand corrected after a trip to Pancake Pantry. The sweet potato pancakes are also notably delicious.
13. Lobster Mac and Cheese at Cabana
If the martini glass it comes in doesn’t sell you, the chunks of lobster will.
14. Birthday Cake Ice Cream with York Peppermint Patties at Maggie Moo’s
Pick your toppings and they will mash it into your ice cream right in front of your eyes. Catch the truck or stop by the shop on West End Avenue — they both rock.
15. Double Decker Grilled Cheese at Noshville
Get this one quick before they close in January.
16. Crispy Brussels Sprouts at Virago
Crispy, oily and decadent, these are not your grandma’s Brussels sprouts. Also, I saw Jake Owen there once. So go.
17. Farm Burger at The Pharmacy
Of all the burgers in Nashville, this one definitely wins. It has beef, a fried egg AND bacon. It will most likely give you a heart attack but yolo, kid.
18. Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich from Jake’s Bakes
Get warm, fresh cookies delivered to your doorstep or step into their new store for a custom ice cream sandwich.
19. Spiked Milkshake from Burger Republic
These milkshakes will definitely bring the boys to the yard.
20. Hot Chicken from Hattie B’s
You can’t go to Nash without some fried chicken. You just can’t.
21. Ice Cream Cone with Chocolate Dip and Rainbow Sprinkles at Bobbie’s Dairy Dip
? now watch me drip ? A photo posted by @everybitewetake on Sep 1, 2015 at 5:41pm PDT
It’s like Dairy Queen, but cuter. Not to mention they have banana splits.
22. Meatball Pizza at Desano’s
This is probably the best pizza in town and it’s BYOB. Enough said.
23. Grilled Cheese at The Grilled Cheeserie
They can put mac and cheese INSIDE your grilled cheese. The tots are also unreal.
24. The Rosie Salad with Grilled Shrimp at Silly Goose
Getting silly ? #fatpplproblems A photo posted by @fatpplproblems on Apr 25, 2015 at 10:25am PDT
When it comes to salad, this one wins.
25. Crispy Potatoes with Cheese at Adele’s
They taste what I imagine French fries and heaven would taste like. Try them.
26. Brunch at Pinewood Social
This city does a lot of brunch, but if you want to get drunk at a bowling alley, go to Pinewood Social.
27. Seasonal Ricotta Tartine at Marché Artisan Foods
Another Day. Another Tartine. This time plum @marcheartisanfoods #nashvillefoodfan A photo posted by NashvilleFoodFan (@nashvillefoodfan) on Aug 30, 2015 at 8:00am PDT
This dish changes pretty regularly, but it’s always a hit. The ricotta mashes beautifully with peaches or plums and it is more savory than avo-toast.