There are a lot of one-of-a-kind restaurants in Tuscaloosa that most of us unfortunately don’t have access to at home, but have no fear, school is about to start back, and our tummies will be happy yet again.

Restaurants

Meme courtesy of barkpost.com

Surin of Thailand

Restaurants

Photo courtesy of @carpe_diyum on Instagram

Every Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 11pm-1am Surin has “Midnight Sushi,” and it kinda changed my life. It’s pretty self explanatory—they serve all their usual dishes between those hours but at super cheap prices. Midnight Sushi is great in the event that you got a little claustrophobic at the bars and want to dip but don’t want to call it a night just yet, or maybe you’ve been craving Japanese food all day, but you’re too broke to have a full Surin meal at a normal hour, despite Surin being a reasonably priced restaurant during its normal hours.

Hokkaido

Restaurants

Photo by @k8bytheocean__ on Instagram

Something I appreciate about Hokkaido is that you can sit in the hibachi section or the traditional part of the restaurant but still eat hibachi styled-food. Everyone loves a good hibachi show, but if you’re tired or short on time, it can be a little taxing. Their hibachi-styled chicken has the perfect level of flavor to the point where it pleases your taste buds but isn’t too overwhelming. Oh and the fried rice. I don’t really know how to describe the fried rice, just that it’s really dank and that they don’t put too much of that extra stuff that I hate in it like vegetables and eggs.  Yuck.

Taco Mama

Restaurants

Photo courtesy @hillheady on Instagram

Taco Mama’s queso is pretty unique. Don’t get me wrong, Moe’s is really good too, but Taco Mama’s is the tiniest bit more flavorful–the tiniest bit spicier but not too spicy. The consistency is the tiniest bit thicker, but it’s still not hard to spread, and they serve it the tiniest bit warmer, but not too warm.

El Rincon

Restaurants

Photo by Kate Steiner

El Rincon’s speciality is their margs, no doubt about that. They put their own special twist on their recipe and make them with Everclear rather than tequila, so you only need to have one or two to get hammered. Or at least I do. While they are mostly famous for their margs, they make a mean quesadilla as well.

Little Italy

Restaurants

Photo courtesy of tigermeatandgatortail.wordpress.com

If you have read my article The 5 Best Things to Order From Domino’s That Aren’t Pizza, you know that I’m from New Jersey and that I feel very strongly about the quality of pizza. Little Italy has probably the closest thing to northern-styled pizza in this neck of the woods. On top of that, they have really good spaghetti and meatballs for only $5.50.

Quick Grill

Restaurants

Photo by Lexi Johnson

Let’s face it, Quick Grill is not exactly what you’d call a glamorous facility. It’s basically a box, so there’s no seating or bathroom, but it has the ideal drunk food when you’re on your way home from the bars. Their most popular dish is probably their Messy Fries. They’re no average French fries. They’re covered in cheese and chili with beans sprinkled on top as well. I mean, what could go wrong?

Rama Jama’s

Restaurants

Photo courtesy of @sishoodofthetravelingfork on Instagram

My favorite meal to have at Rama Jama’s is breakfast. Their hash browns are the perfect texture, and the bacon is both crispy and juicy. I’ve had their burgers for lunch, and they are really great as well. Rama Jama’s is a great pre-darty spot for afternoons in the spring.

Mugshots

Restaurants

Photo courtesy of @cravingswithcaroline on Instagram

Mugshots mastered the classic burger. I only ever order a plain hamburger with nothing on it because I am actually five years old on the inside and still very persnickety about food, especially condiments. When we come back in the fall, try Junie’s Moo Moo Mug Shake in chocolate and vanilla if you haven’t already. It’s wicked rich but not too sweet.

Five

Restaurants

Photo courtesy of @eatingthebird on Instagram

Five earned its name from their menu, because it consists of five dishes: cheeseburger, chicken, lobster, Surf and Turf, and the Gulf Coast Platter. It doesn’t matter that there are only five dishes. Quality over quantity, people.

Buffalo Phil’s

Restaurants

Photo courtesy of @k8bytheocean__ on Instagram

BPhil’s is last on the list but certainly not least. Honestly if you don’t like BPhil’s, you probably don’t have a soul. I’m really questioning your character if you don’t. I can’t think of any American restaurant that has a more eclectic menu than Bphil’s, and they take dining dollars so you don’t have to spend “real money.” If you’re adventurous (not me), they have a wide range of exotic salads and flavored wings. If you’re basic (me), you can stick to the classic chicken finger and French fry dinner platter. If that makes me basic, I don’t wanna be complicated.

Restaurants

Photo courtesy of Crimson2Go.com

Not all of these restaurants deliver, so we have to thank the guys that make that happen, Crimson2Go. C2G makes life a lot easier when you’re craving something from their selection of restaurants but don’t feel like hauling ass. They’re always earlier than the ETA they give you on the website, the drivers are always friendly, and they come right to your doorstep!