Spring means it’s time for you graduating high school seniors to decide where you want to spend the next four years of your life. Chances are, you’re considering UC Davis as a valid option. After all, UC Davis is ranked 11th of public schools in the nation1st in the world for veterinary medicine and 2nd in the world for agriculture and forestry. But this list provides the REAL reasons why you should attend UC Davis, because come on, food over everything am I right?

1. Mixed Shawarma From Sam’s Mediterranean

attend uc davis

Photo by Alyssa Wang

Located right at the edge of campus, Sam’s is a go-to spot for all students, visitors, and locals alike. They serve tender and flavorful beef, chicken and lamb topped with fresh veggies, yogurt and tahini sauce, all wrapped in a soft, warm pita. Drooling yet?

2. $6 17-Item Buffet From Raja’s Tandoor

attend uc davis

Photo by Alyssa Wang

Once you walk through the door at Raja’s, the owner always greets you with warm and welcoming smile. They offer the ultimate cure for homesickness: comfort food that’s college-budget friendly, AND it’s literally a one minute walk from campus. Enough said.

3. Irish Benedict and Bottomless Mimosas From de Vere’s Pub

attend uc davis

Photo by Alyssa Wang

If you’re looking for a place to brunch on the weekend, this is it. De Vere’s offers a great selection of brunch favorites including Banana Bread French Toast, Corned Beef Hash Breakfast Burrito, Bangers and Mash and Huevos Rancheros. But the real star here is the Irish Benedict because who doesn’t love #yolkporn? Pair it with the bottomless mimosas for $12 and you’re golden.

4. Ice Cream in a Black Sesame Cone From The Good Scoop

attend uc davis

Photo by Lauren Lamm

The Good Scoop is an organic, specialty ice cream shop that is new to the downtown Davis scene. They have ice cream flavors that you would never think should be made into a dessert. Beet Balsamic and Pink Peppercorn are just a couple. They use less sugar and no artificial coloring so the real natural flavors stand out more. The combination of the amazing flavors with the toastiness of the black sesame cone will definitely have you screaming for ice cream.

5. Tan-tan Ramen From Yakitori Yuchan

attend uc davis

Photo by Alyssa Wang

Yakitori Yuchan is a Japanese Izakaya-Type restaurant, or a place where people can kick back and drink after work and snack on small plates. It’s basically the Japanese version of a pub. However, the real gem of this place is the Ramen. The broth is rich and dense, and the noodles are soft and chewy. This is the place to go to for Ramen in Davis.

6. Macaron Ice Cream Sandwiches From Ramen Hook

attend uc davis

Photo by Alyssa Wang

These macaron ice cream sandwiches are from an outside vendor, but Ramen Hook is the only place that sells them in Davis. This creamy, delicious dessert is made up of Gunther’s ice cream sandwiched between two Bon Mange macarons. Gunther’s is easily the best ice cream I’ve ever had in my life, so you know this sandwich is legit. Flavors include Oreo, Thai Tea, Birthday Cake, Mint Cookie, Strawberry Cheesecake, and many more. Just walk in and buy a macaron ice cream sandwich. You won’t regret it.

7. Pan-Fried Pork Chive Dumplings From Dumpling House

attend uc davis

Photo by Alyssa Wang

Dumpling House is one of a few spots you can find authentic Chinese food at in Davis. Although it doubles as a London fish and chips restaurant, everyone comes here for the real star: the dumplings. Their pan-fried pork chive dumplings are juicy and fried to crispy perfection. They hit the spot every time.

8. All-You-Can-Eat Sushi From Nami Sushi

attend uc davis

Photo by Alyssa Wang

Tucked in the corner of East Davis, Nami Sushi brings life to a part of town that you never thought you would find yourself in. All-you-can-eat sushi? Only $12.95 for lunch and $17.95 for dinner? Seriously a steal!

The quality of the fish at Nami is so much better than the other sushi buffets in Davis. My personal favorite is the salmon here. It’s so soft, and melts in your mouth. “12 plates of salmon nigiri please!” Don’t worry, I gotchu.

9. Pina Colada Parfait From Sweet and Shavery

attend uc davis

Photo by Alyssa Wang

Sweet and Shavery is a dessert spot that serves crepes, ice cream sandwiches, and most importantly, Italian ice (aka water ice) and frozen custard. For those that don’t know what Italian ice is, it’s basically a very light flavored ice, kind of like a lighter version of sorbet. The combination of the fluffiness of the ice with the sweet, creaminess of the custard makes a perfect, refreshing snack during any time of the year.

10. Pastor Nacho Fries From Taqueria Guadalajara

attend uc davis

Photo by Hana Brannigan

In the midst of North Davis, you’ll find Taqueria Guadalajara, which serves up some of the best pastor in Davis. These pastor nacho fries are perfect for every occasion: drunchies, hangover food, catching up with friends, or if you’re just craving Mexican food.

Now you know what all these students are cheering about. #AggiePride

attend uc davis

Photo courtesy of ucdavis.edu