Norris Mini Courses are a great opportunity to have a casual and fun learning experience without the pressure of grades and schoolwork, especially when truffles are involved. On Tuesday, Feb. 5, Spoon sponsored its very own Norris Mini Course teaching students the art of truffle making, all the way from the fillings to the toppings.

Chef Javier Romero, the executive chef of Hinman dining hall, taught the course. Romero has been with nuCuisine for about 12 years and has taught this course before, although he prefers cooking full meals. “When I’m cooking for the family, I like to make an entrée, appetizer and dessert. When I make desserts, I usually like to make cookies or cake.”

Students Make Truffles at Norris

Photo by Kirby Barth

All of the participants were given a bowl of pre-made chocolate ganache, which Romero prepared by melting bittersweet chocolate over a pot of boiling water (to keep from burning the chocolate) and mixing in heavy whipping cream. He advised that, when making your own chocolate ganache, the cream must be as hot as the chocolate when you mix them together, or else the chocolate will harden immediately. After mixing the chocolate and heavy whipping cream, he separated the mixture into individual containers and let them cool.

Participants scooped out chunks of the ganache and rolled them into little balls. Then they coated the ganache balls with various toppings like cocoa powder, graham cracker crumbs, crushed Butterfinger pieces, shredded coconut and powdered sugar. Romero also provided to-go boxes so participants could take their decadent treats home with them.

Students Make Truffles at Norris

Photo by Kirby Barth

Weinberg junior Avra Shapiro chose to sign up for the course because she thinks there are too many fun things going on on campus that people don’t take advantage of. “I thought it would be a good break from school and other structured activities,” she said.

SESP senior Beatrice Conley had a much more obvious reason to be there. Conley regularly makes chocolate desserts, but she had never actually made truffles before. “I love chocolate and I love cooking so I thought it was the perfect mix of the two.”

As if the attendees had not satisfied their sweet tooth enough, Romero sent everyone home with a simple do-it-yourself truffle recipe to try later.

Check out Spoon’s next Norris Mini Course featuring appetizers like guacamole, salsa and hummus on Tuesday, Feb. 12 from 5:30 to 7 p.m.