Long ago, the four nations lived together in harmony. Then everything changed when the Merriam-Webster Dictionary attacked. Actually, it was Memorial Day when Merriam-Webster stirred up the internet by declaring the hot dog a sandwich.

hot dog

Photo courtesy of @MerriamWebster on Twitter

The internet has been in a frenzy since the tweet. Some people are enraged by the suggestion.

“@MerriamWebster you’ve gone too far,” wrote Eric Moressy.

And others point out that this opens up discussion for other foods being considered sandwiches, which is a can of worms that no one is ready for.

“@MerriamWebster What about a taco? Where does this end?” tweeted Zach Pennington.

hot dog

GIF courtesy of WiffleGif

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines a sandwich as “two pieces of bread with something (such as meat, peanut butter, etc.) between them.”  Using this definition, a hot dog would be a sandwich. However on November 6, 2015, the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council declared that hot dogs are not sandwiches, which pretty much closes the debate.

hot dog

What do you think? Is a hot dog a sandwich? And if it is, do we have to start calling tacos and quesadillas sandwiches too?