Cornell has been consistently recognized for its excellent food served on campus, achieving top spots for the past few years in various campus food rankings among all colleges and universities in the United States. It is thus no surprise that in the recent 2016 Best College Food ranking by Niche Social, Cornell Dining placed 9th nationwide and a fabulous 1st in New York State. These rankings were primarily based on student surveys on campus dining, and the average cost of a meal plan.

“I’m pleased but not surprised to see we placed so highly among colleges nationwide. It’s a testament to the effort our incredible staff puts in meal after meal, day after day, to make sure we serve wonderful food,” says Gail T. Finan, Director of Cornell Dining and a graduate of Cornell’s School of Hotel Administration. “Best in New York State is also a wonderful achievement. We’re always pleased by recognition like this for the excellent food we serve on campus.”

Cornell Dining

Photo courtesy of Cornell Dining

Throughout the years, Cornell Dining has constantly aimed towards building a more sustainable food system both locally and regionally within New York State. This is achieved through organizing events with local farmers and chefs, as well as building partnerships through programs such as the Local Food Growers Initiative, enabling Cornell to purchase approximately 25% of its total food expenditures that are grown and/or processed within 250 miles of Cornell. Local food establishments include Cayuga Pure Organics, Ithaca Bakery, Finger Lakes Coffee Roasters and Cornell Orchards.

Cornell Dining is also committed to providing its customers with the nutritional information and choices needed for a healthy and balanced lifestyle. For example, foods that are 100% whole grain, 100% trans fat-free, made only with fresh ingredients and lower in fat, sugar, and salt content are labelled with the Eating Well Apple logo. Also, to ensure that all dietary needs are met, Cornell Dining not only has on-staff Registered Dietitians and Certified Dietitian Nutritionists, but also requires managers and chefs to undergo advanced training in many types of dietary restrictions. As such, whether you’re following a vegan, kosher, Halal or Seventh-Day Adventist diet, you are sure to find delicious dining options all over campus.

Cornell Dining

Photo courtesy of Cornell Dining

Today, with 29 on-campus dining locations each offering a huge variety of menu selections, Cornell Dining is most proud of its variety and convenience. In all of the 10 All-You-Care-To-Eat dining rooms, customers can chose from hundreds of menu options, sampling and enjoying extra helpings at no extra cost. From holiday-themed meals to chef surprises, Cornell Dining goes all out to provide customers with an incredible dining experience in unexpected ways throughout the year. Past themed nights include a festive Mardi Gras celebration, a Chinese New Year celebration, and the annual Fall Harvest Dinner where students can sample menu items featuring local and sustainable foods.

Cornell Dining

Photo courtesy of Cornell Dairy

Additionally, on-campus cafes, food courts and coffee houses offer an a la carte dining experience, with options as diverse as Trillium’s 6 specialty food stations to Cornell Diary Bar’s selection of ice cream, yogurt, pudding and Big Red Cheddar produced at Cornell’s very own dairy processing plant.

To celebrate Cornell Dining’s stunning achievements, Cornell Dining’s award-winning chefs will be preparing one-of-a kind special menus in all of the All-You-Care-To-Eat dining rooms on December 8, 2015. Just for this one night, Cornell Dining will be serving a “Prime Dinner”, featuring top-notch, quality ingredients you would normally find in upscale restaurants.

What’s even better is that each dining room will be serving an individual and specialized menu. There’ll be plenty to chose from, from Carved Charbroiled Steak and Milanese Style Surf ‘n Turf in Becker House Dining Room, to New Orleans Style Braised Steak and Catfish Sliders in Cook House Dining Room, and Carved Prime Rib, Horseradish Mashed Potatoes, Spinach Lasagna, and Char Grilled Marinated Tofu with Greens in Robert Purcell Marketplace Eatery. Cornell Dining sure doesn’t fail to impress, does it?

Cornell Dining

Photo courtesy of Ezra Magazine

Indeed, says Phil Doane, Marketing Manager of Cornell Dining, “dining with Cornell is more than a meal – it’s a vital part of the Cornell experience.” It is no doubt one of the few schools that actively partners with students to improve overall dining experiences. From offering a greater variety of food to introducing initiatives that address various food issues, Cornell Dining is sure to provide a remarkable experience for everyone out there.