After two incredibly successful years, Halal Fest, America’s largest Halal and Eid Festival, is returning for the third year running on Saturday, August 1st, 2015 in the main lot of NewPark mall in Newark, CA from 12 pm – 7 pm.

So what is Halal?

The word “Halal” actually translates to “permissible” in Arabic and refers to the Islamic dietary laws that are followed by practicing Muslims. In other words, “Halal” foods are “lawful” for practicing Muslims to consume, similar to Kosher foods for Jewish people.

halal

Photo Courtesy of Syed Abbas

Halal foods exclude any pork- or alcohol-based products, and include chicken, beef, lamb, goat, turkey, deer and seafood. The definition of Halal can vary depending on the individual, but the main goal is to follow God’s instructions and avoid certain food items in order to live a healthier and longer life.

Most of the time, Halal foods refer to animals that are fed natural grains, grass or corn, and are never injected with hormones or other chemicals. In order for a food to truly be considered “Halal,” God’s name should be been mentioned by a Muslim during each animal’s specific slaughtering process.

What food will be there?

halal

Photo Courtesy of Syed Abbas

Over 20 Halal- and Zabihah– (an Arabic word that refers only to the slaughter of the animal) approved food vendors will be at the event. Unfortunately, purchasing a ticket to get into the event won’t grant you open access to the food, but most vendors won’t charge over $10 for the items on their menu. Pro tip from the festival organizers: “Try out all the food vendors who will have both smaller sampler items for only a few dollars each.”

For a list of the confirmed vendors, click on “Vendors” in the top bar to plan out your food agenda beforehand.

Is there just food at Halal Fest?

halal

Photo Courtesy of Syed Abbas

While the food is the main attraction of this event, there will also be carnival rides and games, as well as a bazaar featuring over 35 vendors from around the world. There, you’ll be able to find clothes, gifts, toys, artwork and other specialty items. A number of performances and entertainment groups will perform throughout the day, providing you entertainment as you enjoy your food.

halal

Photo Courtesy of Syed Abbas

Okay, how do I get in?

You can buy general admission tickets—with a slight discount for bundled tickets—for $5 online, with a transaction fee. If you’re at all on the fence (We’ve no clue why you are.) or just want to avoid that extra charge, you can also purchase tickets for $5 at the door.

If you buy your tickets online, you’ll have to pick up your wristband ticket at their Will Call booth with an email confirmation and present a photo ID. Children 10 years and younger can enter for free. For more information call (510) 97-HFEST or contact them via email.

Of course, our team at Spoon will most definitely be attending the event, so if you run into us, please say hello, and check back with us after August 1st to enjoy our drool-worthy recap.