Any type of pork bun can be delicious and mouthwatering but it’s important to be aware of your choices before diving into this dim sum specialty. Pork buns, also known as “cha siu bao,” are one of the most famous kinds of dim sum.

There are two different types of buns, both have similar fillings of sweet and savory roasted pork but if you’ve never had authentic dim sum, you may need a guide into the world of pork buns.

Baked Pork Buns

pork buns

Photo by Ella Story

What to expect: A brown, glazed bun that is slightly sweet. These buns are usually bigger than the steamed buns, and the texture is buttery and bread-like. These buns have a pretty hefty pork to bun ratio.

pork buns

Photo by Ella Storey

Why is this the right pork bun for you? Baked pork buns are larger and more filling than the steamed pork bun, so you’ll definitely be satisfied. Also, if you’re craving something sweet AND salty, this bun is the bun for you.

Steamed Pork Buns

pork buns

Photo by Ella Storey

What to expect: These buns tend to be smaller and a lot more fluffy (yeast and baking powder are used as leavening). Steamed pork buns may come with a piece of paper on the bottom, so remember to take that off before taking a bite.

pork buns

Photo by Ella Storey

Why is this the right pork bun for you? If you’re looking for a slightly lighter, but more savory, snack to finish in three bites a steamed pork bun is the perfect option. Steamed buns are airy and even a little spongy compared to baked buns.

If you happen to finish an entire serving you won’t end the meal by saying “I can’t believe I ate the whole thing.” Next time you’re craving a unique snack, this pork bun guide is sure to help you out.

Want to learn more about dim sum? Check out these other articles.