Do you use a paper towel to open the public bathroom door after washing your hands, but don’t think twice about sleeping with your phone plastered to your pillow?

According to study conducted by Which Magazine in 2010, the average iPhone carries eighteen times more potentially harmful bacterias and viruses than a men’s urinal flusher. In other words, ya nasty.

How does your prized possession attract so many harmful germs? Turns out it’s your own fault. When you really think about it, practically every surface your phone touches is already drowning in bacteria.

Just how dirty is your phone?

Germs

Your phone most likely is lying on your desk at school or work right now. According to Dr. Chuck Gerba, professor of microbiology at the University of Arizona, your desk contains 400 times more bacteria than a toilet seat.

In fact, your toilet is actually one of the cleanest surfaces in your house. Even if your phone is tucked safely in your pocket, you most likely brought your phone in the bathroom today (because 75% of us use our phones there). Your phone has also probably been in a bag today. Guess what? One-third of purses carry E. coli bacteria.

Germs

The good news? Your body is probably used to germs found on your phone by now. However, the second you allow your friend to use your phone which introduces a whole new ecosystem of germs. Your phone holds onto germs because it acts as a warm little home. By holding your phone to your warm face, keeping it in your pocket or purse, or even the heat your phone naturally generates when it’s turned on produces conditions for these nasty germs to thrive.

So how do I clean my phone properly?

Germs

Dr. Dubert Guerrero, an infectious disease specialist at Sanford Health in Fargo, N.D., suggests that wiping down your phone with a moist microfiber cloth will sufficiently get rid of common bacteria. More dangerous bacteria like E. coli and the flu virus need to be attacked by a stronger cleaners like bleach or alcohol.

Germs

An article from the New York Times suggests to Fill a spray bottle with the diluted alcohol, lightly moisten a lint-free, preferably microfiber, cloth (no paper towels) and gently wipe down the screen and case. Never spray directly onto the device. To clean corners and around ports, use lint-free foam rather than cotton Q-tips.

Power down your phone every once in the while, give it a nice clean with antibacterial wipes, and make sure you give the home button some extra special lovin’. Before you go ahead and rush out of your house, give the phone some time to dry.

Will these germs make you sick?

Germs

Though phones carry bacteria, a study out of the University of Surrey showed that most phones aren’t carrying Staphylococcus aureus and other dangerous bacteria.

Remember: Just because your phone may not be transmitting deathly infections does not mean you can just slide past this germ talk. This bacteria may not be infecting you, but it could harm your baby cousin or grandma. Break the germ cycle and CLEAN. YOUR. DAMN. PHONE.