In moderation, alcohol is good for you. It can lower your risk of cardiovascular disease, boost the immune system, and may lower the risk of type II diabetes. But next time you’re out with friends, avoid these drinks, as they’re packed with empty calories.

Long Island Iced Tea

Photo by Daniel Schuleman

One of these drinks can have more calories in it than a whole meal. Since the serving size is usually 12 ounces, instead ask for half a serving mixed with diet soda.

White Russian

A 6-ounce White Russian, which has vodka, Kahlua and cream, has about 500 calories. Try using Kahlua-flavored sugar-free syrup instead.

Margarita

Photo by Jess Hayes

Photo by Jess Hayes

Margaritas are usually full of sugar and contain more than 150 calories. You’d need to walk more than 45 minutes to burn that many calories. Unless the margarita is made with fresh lime juice, avoid it.

Beer

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Beer may appear to be a healthier option, but some beers contain 200 to 300 calories per serving. Stick to Miller 64 or Budweiser Select 55 for a lower calorie option.

Piña Colada

Don’t be fooled by this drink’s light and refreshing taste. It can pack more than 600 calories. That’s more than Burger King’s Sausage, Egg and Cheese Biscuit Sandwich. Instead of using coconut cream or coconut milk, try coconut water.

Did you end up drinking too much? Try these tips.

[divider_1px]

More good stuff here: