Attention all yogurt eaters, you have been living your life all wrong. Ready to be mind blown? Full-fat yogurt is actually better for you.

Yup, I know your brain just exploded, but it’s true. Full-fat yogurt is more natural and has many health benefits.

Last year, a study in the Archives of Disease in Childhood found that low-fat milk can lead to even higher weight gain over time and this Scandinavian study found that full-fat dairy was associated with lower risk of central obesity, including less stomach fat.

yogurt

We always try to choose natural foods over processed foods, and yet with yogurt, we always do the opposite. Fat-free dairy is simply unnatural. When the fat is processed out of milk, it loses its nutritional value and becomes unhealthy by the use of additives and extra sugar. This can even make the diary harder to digest – trust me, you don’t want that.

Plus, full-fat yogurt tends to have more protein and less sugar than most fat-free or low-fat yogurts. The protein keeps you full longer, meaning less snacking.

There are many options out there in the world of full-fat yogurt. From greek yogurt, to cream on top, to Icelandic, you are bound to find one that you love. You can always try my go-to snack, Siggi’s yogurt (coconut is my favorite).

yogurt

Photo by Lauryn Lahr

There are many other foods that you shouldn’t eat fat-free, but it’s time to start with yogurt. Whole milk dairy product sales are on the rise and its time to join the revolution. Happy spooning (with full-fat yogurt).