In Canada and the United States alike, Thanksgiving is a time for family, gratitude, and amazing food. As a Canadian, though, I can confidently say that Canadian Thanksgiving is 100 times better. Think I'm wrong? Here are five reasons why Northerners have more fun in the fall.ย 

1. We started it.

Canadian Thanksgiving is said to have originated in 1578, when the English explorer Martin Frobisher successfully arrived in Canada after a dangerous journey. They were so grateful to have survived that they held a commemorative feast of thanks. Sound familiar?

Meanwhile, American Thanksgiving didn't start until the early 1600's. I'm not saying you guys copied us, but I'm not saying you didn't, either.

2. Ours is a little less racist.

Sorry (not sorry) to bring this up, but Canadian Thanksgiving is simply about being thankful for a bountiful harvest. We don't entertain any misguided notions about how supposedly nice our ancestors were to North America's Indigenous communities way back in the day.

Canadians aren't perfect when it comes to acknowledging our role as a colonial power, but at least we didn't turn it into a national holiday.

3. The timing is better.

Canadian Thanksgiving takes place on the second Monday in October. While Americans have all of their holidays squished into November and December, making it feel like an endless cycle of festivities, us relaxed Canadians give ourselves time to breathe (and digest) in between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

4. The weather is perfect.

The second week in October has amazing weather. The first signs of fall are beginning to show, but it's still warm enough to leave the house in a light jacket. That means hiking, football games, and awesome Instagram posts. In the US, November might even mean snow in certain states, and that's strictly Christmas weather.

5. We still benefit from American Thanksgiving.

Sorry, America, but Canadian retailers have Black Friday sales, too. While Americans are taking time out of their precious Thanksgiving weekend to trample each other for a bargain, we Canadians are able to guiltlessly devote the whole day to shopping. Now that's something to be thankful for!

Canadians, despite being known for some more unique dishes, eat the same food as Americans during Thanksgiving. Turkey, potatoes, gravy, and pumpkin pie are just a few of the foods included in our feasts.

Whether you're Canadian or American, there's one thing we can all agree on: Thanksgiving is one of the tastiest holidays of the year.