We’ve all been there. You know, to sit down and watch a movie with a little bowl of popcorn only to find by the end of the movie your “little bowl of popcorn” turned into an empty bag of popcorn *oops*. You ate the entire bag of popcorn without even realizing. So being the curious cat that you are, you check to see how many calories you unintentionally consumed. You think, “150? not bad” but then it sets in…150 calories in each serving, and there were three servings in that single (now empty) bag of popcorn. You realize that you consumed 450 calories. 

serving size

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

Now you’re confused. Have you been eating multiple servings of every snack in one sitting? Most of the time you’re too busy too notice but maybe these pictures can be your saving grace. Here’s what the serving sizes of your favorite snacks actually look like:

1. Honey Nut Cheerios

serving size

Photo by Sabrina Kistler

Serving Size: 3/4 cup

Calories: 110

2. Snyder’s of Hanover Pretzel Snaps

serving size

Photo by Sabrina Kistler

Serving Size: 24 pieces

Calories: 120

3. Trader Joe’s Peanut Butter

serving size

Photo by Sabrina Kistler

Serving Size: 2 tablespoons

Calories: 190

4. Goldfish

serving size

Photo by Sabrina Kistler

Serving Size: 55 pieces

Calories: 140

5. Almonds

serving size

Photo by Sabrina Kistler

Serving Size: 23 pieces

Calories: 120

6. Swedish Fish

serving size

Photo by Sabrina Kistler

Serving Size: 16 pieces

Calories: 140

7. Hershey’s XL Chocolate Bar

serving size

Photo by Sabrina Kistler

Serving Size: 5 blocks

Calories: 200

8. Skinny Pop

serving size

Photo by Sabrina Kistler

Serving Size: 3 3/4 cup

Calories: 150

I know what you’re thinking- these serving sizes are not realistic. While that might be true, these amounts are what you should technically be eating. Whether or not you choose to follow them, they will always be on the label nagging you. And now that you know they’re there, maybe you’ll give them a second look. Happy snacking, everyone!