Mothers are a special kind of breed. A mother’s love for her children is intangible and ever-growing. We grow to love and respect our mothers endlessly, despite their incessant nagging and brutally honest comments about our potential weight gain in college.

In addition to having the burden of sustaining two kids on her own (shout out to single moms out there), my mom (aka my Wonder Woman and best friend) has also been faced with some unwanted health troubles, in particular autoimmune diseases, specifically hypothyroidism and Lupus.

mental health

Photo by Katie Cruz

Throughout the countless doctors appointments, medicine changes, and pain, she formed an affinity towards yoga and mindfulness, leading her to become a certified Kundalini Yoga Instructor. From all this, she has learned how to help both herself, and others, including myself (hence my slightly basic lotus flower tat).

Here are three things to take into consideration when working on yourself and your mental health:

Meditation

Photo courtesy of inhabitots.com

My mom is always saying how meditation has not only helped her mentally, but also physically. It brings about a sense of awareness that transforms into mental clarity, and with mental clarity comes inner peace. If you want to give it a go, check out this guided meditation – it’s my personal favorite. And if you’re thinking about learning more about mindfulness and how to add it into your everyday life, check out these tips on how to eat more mindfully.

Affirmations

Photo courtesy of 90daystospiritualenlightenment.files.wordpress.com

You are not only what you eat, but also what you think. This stresses the importance of positivity in your everyday life. Acknowledge that you are in control of your life. Your actions are what will bring you to where you need/want to be. No one can bring you down; you’re UNSTOPPABLE. Here are 35 daily affirmations to help guide you on this road to positivity, or take a look at Louise Hay’s affirmations (she’s amazing).

Self-love

Photo courtesy of viviennemcmasterphotography.com

Self-love is something you must strive for, it doesn’t simply come to you over night. According to Psychology Today, self-love can be defined as “a state of appreciation for oneself that grows from actions that support physical, psychological, and spiritual growth.”

So how can we attain this ever so important self-love? Accept your flaws, your weaknesses, your imperfections, and acknowledge that all those intricacies make you, you. From that, you’ll grow to realize that in any and every situation, you’re doing the best you can, and that’s all that matters. Love yourself, always.