Bubble gum is one of the iconic flavors of childhood, but have you ever blown a bubble and wondered exactly what is bubble gum flavor?

First, let’s examine the history behind bubble gum. The Wrigley Company might have begun producing chewing gum since 1892, but Frank Fleer of the Fleer Company, who had been making chewing gum since 1885, wanted to make a gum that could be blown into bubbles to compete with other brands. However, the formula he developed, called “Blibber Blubber,” stuck to everything. Yes, "Blibber Blubber."

Perfecting the Bubble Gum

In 1928, a young accountant working for the company named Walter Diemer developed a successful formula adapted from “Blibber Blubber.” When he had finally achieved the desired texture, he noticed that it was an unappealing grey color. The only food coloring available was pink, so he dyed the gum pink, and it’s the classic color still used today. Diemer named this new formula “Dubble Bubble.”

But What is Bubble Gum Flavor?

As for the flavor, each company has their own unique mix. However, most people would consider it generally fruity. Bubble gum flavor is a combination of multiple artificial flavors, often strawberry, banana and cherry — sometimes even orange, lemon, or cinnamon. Artificial flavors, chemicals formulated to mimic natural flavors, are used to flavor bubble gum. 

Bob Boutin, president of Knechtel Inc., describes bubble gum flavor as “a strawberry-banana-punch type of flavor” and that “it was created to appeal to the children's market, as well as some adults. It gives long-lasting flavor and chemically does well in the chewing gum’s formulation."

tea, grass, bubble gum, bubble, smile, happy, outdoors, Gum, smiling girl
Julia Gilman

Bob Boutin, president of Knechtel Inc., describes bubble gum flavor as “a strawberry-banana-punch type of flavor” and says that “it was created to appeal to the children's market, as well as some adults. It gives long-lasting flavor and chemically does well in the chewing gum’s formulation."

Bubble gum flavor is one of the secrets of the gum industry, with a cocktail of artificial fruity flavors at the center of it. Homemade versions tend to utilize the more easily available strawberry flavor, but true bubble gum flavor is more complex, composed of multiple notes.

candy, bubble gum, Pink, Gum, Hubba Bubba, gum tape, girl, smile, Chewing gum
Julia Gilman

So find the kind you like best and blow some bubbles! And if you accidentally swallow your bubble gum? Have no fear, it won’t be stuck in your stomach for seven years. Even though the gum base is indigestible, it passes through your digestive system just like any other food. Chew on, bubble gum lovers, chew on.