I frequently tell myself that an addiction to peanut butter is a pretty healthy addiction to have. At least it isn't drugs or cake or something, right? Despite this belief, I felt like I was kind of overloading on peanut butter from eating it every day (or even twice a day), so I gave it up for Lent to keep myself in check. 

Before Giving It Up

meat, bread, sweet, chocolate
Christin Urso

I absolutely LOVE peanut butter more than any other edible food, drink or condiment. If I could eat peanut butter at every meal, I probably would. Even if it was just a straight spoonful out of the jar, peanut butter basically solves all problems, including hunger and stress. Honestly, most vehicles of holding peanut butter are just getting in the way of me eating straight peanut butter. I am kind of getting grossed out at myself for eating so much PB, so I should probably relax a little bit. Oh wait, Lent is coming up! What a perfect time to surrender a food that comprises probably around half of my daily calories (major groan of despair).

Beginning of Lent

vegetable, dairy product, sweet
Jill Langin

I am definitely going to lose 15 pounds from not eating peanut butter all day long. But seriously, what am I going to eat. What am I going to put on my toast? What am I going to stir into my oatmeal? What am I going to eat a spoonful of when I am bored and freaking out about the lab report I should be writing? Okay maybe I should just kick that habit altogether. Wow I am going to miss peanut butter, but I need this break.

Middle of Lent

sweet, guacamole, vegetable, avocado
Sarah Silbiger

Wow, there are so many other delicious foods to eat besides peanut butter. Yeah, I miss peanut butter, but I have discovered that I actually do like avocados and avocado toast is currently keeping me happy. Also, not eating 1,000 spoonfuls of peanut butter a day definitely opens up some more hunger. I am eating a lot more, and a lot more variety, throughout the day when I'm not filling my day with all the yummy fats in peanut butter. 

End of Lent

espresso, dairy product, caramel, ice, chocolate, sweet, milk, coffee, cream
Grace Lee

Is lent over yet? I literally just want a peanut buttery breakfast so bad.

After Easter

egg, sweet, candy
Alexa Nakamura

Having a peanut butter themed breakfast on Easter morning was everything I had hoped for. It was delicious and I loved every second of it, but when it was gone, I did not feel like I needed any more peanut butter that day. In fact, the next morning I had avocado toast with eggs instead of a peanut buttery meal.

Peanut butter is still one of my favorites foods, and I still think nut butters should be a food group, but I have definitely made huge strides to kick my addiction. I am happy I gave it up and explored more foods, but I am definitely happy to have it back.