Society, the media and the internet have said so much about weight loss, that it may be difficult to determine what is true. In reality, most of the information delivered is unproven, while some is just plain false. 

We understand carrying around excess weight can be uncomfortable, but it’s important to lose weight the right way with a combination of exercise and a healthy diet.

That being said, don’t fall for the lies and misconceptions; you may be sabotaging your weight loss goals instead of enhancing them.

Shed pounds the safe and smart way, stop believing everything you hear and get yourself on the right track by taking a look at these common weight loss myths.

Obesity is about self-discipline, not biology

Many of us believe if an individual is obese it’s usually because they overeat, under exercise and lack willpower. This is not always true. Obesity can be due to a person’s genetics. According to research, “obesity risk is two to eight times higher for a person with a family history as opposed to a person with no family history of obesity.”

Carbs are making you fat

sweet, muesli, corn, granola, cereal
Caitlin Shoemaker

Eating too much of anything can make you fat. Carbohydrates are important to consume because they are a primary source of energy for your body. This is why many low carb diets result in feelings of fatigue. Tip: Eat whole wheat breads and foods made with whole grains.

Healthy foods are always more expensive

groceries, Grocery Store, Vegetables, organic whole foods, organic section, inside whole foods market, Whole Foods Market
Shelby Cohron

You want to eat healthy but you think that you can’t because you have always been under the impression that healthy foods cost too much money. This is not necessarily true. You can consume dairy, whole grains, fruit, veggies and protein at low cost. For instance purchase a yogurt cup for dairy, a box of brown rice for whole grains, a package of grapes for fruit, broccoli for your veggie and a can of nuts for protein (greatist).

Snacking is a bad idea

snack, eating popcorn, popcorn, fish

Many people believe snacking leads to weight gain. The truth is, eating healthy snacks throughout the day is actually helpful. It keeps your metabolism going, provides you with mid-day energy and also decreases the chances of you overeating at meal time.

If it's labeled "low/reduced fat," it's healthier

sweet, dairy product
Lauryn Lahr

There is so much news about fat and how bad it is for weight loss… It’s no wonder you try and avoid it. However, many of these low fat and reduced fat foods actually contain chemicals that may be harmful to you. Think about it…how do you think manufactures make up for the taste? They add artificial sweetener, salt and flower just to name a few.

People that suffer from obesity are unhealthy and thin people are healthy

The reality is a person’s weight is not a good way to determine their overall health. Healthy weight varies according to each individual. According to TIME, “in a new study by U.S. and European researchers, published in the European Heart Journal, overweight and obese people were found to be at no greater risk of developing or dying from heart disease or cancer, compared with normal weight people, as long as they were metabolically fit despite their excess weight.”

Not eating at all is the best way to lose weight

cappuccino, milk, sweet, chocolate, tea, espresso, coffee
Jaye Lind

This is a complete myth! Not eating is one of the worst methods for weight loss. You may drop a few pounds at first but it will backfire. Not eating is likely to lead to overeating and bingeing. You need food to maintain your overall body and brain function.

Skipping meals helps you lose weight

It has been shown that skipping meals may help you lose short term weight but you will eventually gain it back, and maybe more. Skipping meals may result in poor performance and fatigued brain. (See: Things That Happen to Your Body When You Skip a Meal).

Fat is bad

vegetable
Melanie Bertolino

Not all fat is bad fat. According to Authority Nutrition, “studies on diets that are high in fat (and low in carbs) show that these diets cause more weight loss than diets that are low in fat.” High fat foods that are good for you include avocados, eggs, fatty fish and nuts.

Women who weight train will become bulky

Health, gym, Lifting, Weights, beer
Carolyne Su

It has been a long running myth that women who lift weights will become bulky. Unless you are training intensely for a bodybuilding competition, taking supplements and diet cutting, it is almost impossible for you to become as muscular as men. Weight training will help decrease aging, improve balance, increase fat loss and burn calories.