Love watermelon? Check out these facts and tips that will surely sweeten your next watermelon encounter.
1. To pick a good watermelon follow these steps:
- Check to make sure it is mostly symmetrical.
- Does it seems heavy for its size? That’s a good sign.
- Make sure there are no dents, bruises, or soft spots.
- Knock on it. If it sounds hollow, buy it!
- Choose one with a flat bottom. If there isn’t one, the watermelon was picked too early.
2. Yes, people in Japan grow square shaped watermelons, but you probably knew that. They are made that way because they’re easier to stack and ship. What I bet you didn’t know is that they are priced at around $150. Japan also grows heart-shaped watermelons, and “Godzilla Egg” watermelons that are sold in a cage…
3. Wealthy people in Russia pay $800 for a Japanese square watermelon. (Def worth it if you ask me.)
4. Early explorers used to use watermelons as canteens. Remember that tip next time you go hiking.
5. Watermelons are 92% water and 8% sugar.
6. Watermelon eating contests are very popular, and people practice them year round. Watch this if you don’t believe me.
7. Watermelon is a perfect health food because it doesn’t contain any fat or cholesterol. It is also high in fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C and potassium.
8. Watermelon is a vegetable. WOAH.
Check out these sweet related articles: