Do you ever wake up in the morning and think, “Wow, I really feel like eating pulverized cricket and chocolate today?” Yeah, me neither. But for all those weirdos out there who just responded with a resounding YES, you are in luck: a new line of protein barsExo Cricket Bar, contains around 40 crickets per serving.

crickets

Photo courtesy of disney.wikia.com

Yes, the cute, chirping bug that plays the adorable sidekick in Mulan can now be eaten ground up with chocolate, almonds, and dates in protein-bar form. Why eat crickets, you might ask? Besides their obvious aesthetic appeal, those little green bugs contain a ton of protein. And we all know that protein = maximum gainz.

Founded by Brown University alumni, Exo recently received $1.2 million in investments and has sold more than 100,000 bars online. I decided to find out what all the buzz (chirp?) was about, so I ordered a box online and even managed to convince a few people to taste-test the bars with me. Read on for their bugged-out reactions.

Cocoa Nut

crickets

Photo courtesy of marksdailyapple.com

“Is this flavored mud?”

“This one’s not bad. But it feels like I’m eating cricket-legs. Kind of tastes like an almond and chocolate brownie. But I don’t know if I can taste that other one – kinda feel like I’m gonna throw up.”

“I ate them right before track practice and it definitely had an effect on my workout. I felt super jumpy and hoppy in my strides. Maybe it was the caffeine in the cacao, or the zing from the sea salt, or that extra protein power from the cricket.”

Peanut Butter and Jelly

crickets

Photo courtesy of media.philly.com

“I hate you, oh my god. Ew. EW. Did you actually eat these. No actually, it’s like raisins. They taste like raisins. I hate raisins. But the fact that you’re eating this knowing it’s a cricket bar… you just imagine a cricket being squashed by your shoe. Thank you for that experience.”

“I like this one better. It’s gooey but crunchy at the same time. Cricket-leg crunchy from the nuts. It’s a little disturbing to think of it that way.”

“It’s so condensed and thick. Very chewy.”

Blueberry Vanilla

crickets

Photo courtesy of bonappetit.com

“I’m really upset right now. I’m crying. What are these. Why.”

“Really weird combination but pretty good.”

“The problem with this one is that these flavors are supposed to be light, but the texture is so heavy. It just does not work. All you can taste is this condensed mud.”

Final thoughts

Overall, they kind of tasted like Power Bars, except a little better. But unlike Power Bars, they pack on 10 grams of protein per serving and contain only all natural ingredients. So if you’re an adventurous eater and can temporarily forget about the whole pulverized insect factor, I would definitely recommend these. You and your tortoise can bond over your mutual food preferences.

Still not convinced of the bug-eating revolution? Check out these articles: