New Paltz is a town 90 minutes north of New York City, home to some amazing parks and hikes, vast mountains, and of course, SUNY New Paltz.

Students feel at home when they attend school here, especially with our college town snuggled in right next to campus, making it an easy walk from classes. New Paltz is home to some amazing cuisines and restaurants, enough to satisfy any craving you could ever have. With so many different food options to choose from, it’s no surprise that students and locals never get bored here.

As a foodie, it is my responsibility to recommend newcomers to some of the best food in the Hudson Valley. This guide will be here for you the next time you find yourself hungry in the greatest part of New York state.

1. When the library is full: Cafeteria

SUNY New Paltz

Photo courtesy of @sweetsandsunsets on Instagram

Looking to unwind and get some amazing coffee drinks? Cafeteria is the place for you. With the chillest vibes in town and some seriously amazing hot and cold beverages, there is always an excuse to take the short walk there from campus. Stop in for open mic and jazz nights, or just go during the day to sit and get your essay done.

What to order: Oreo Cappuccino

Location: 58 Main St., New Paltz, NY 12561

2. When you’re trying to brunch: Main Street Bistro

SUNY New Paltz

Photo courtesy of @honeybrunches on Instagram

There is no other brunch place in New Paltz that compares to Main Street Bistro. They serve up the best egg dishes, pancakes, and sandwiches—not to mention their unbeatable breakfast special. For only $2 (yeah you heard that right, $2) you will get eggs your style, two pieces of toast, and a heaping stack of potatoes. But be warned, go early, otherwise you will be waiting (and salivating from the smells) for quite some time.

What to order: The $2 breakfast special with a short stack of pancakes.

Location: 59 Main St., New Paltz, NY 12561

3. When you’re “doin’ it for the Insta”: Cafe 17

SUNY New Paltz

Photo Courtesy of @miranda_reilly on Instagram

Let’s talk about crêpes. They’re delicious, versatile, and can be eaten for any meal of the day. With savory and sweet crêpes—as well as salads, sandwiches, and soups—it’s always worth it to stop at the hidden gem that is Cafe 17.

What to Order: Very Veggie Crêpe

Location: 17 Church S., New Paltz, NY 12561

4. Where to go when you need a 2 am snack: Convenient Deli

SUNY New Paltz

Photo by Marisa Losciale

I can honestly say that I have been to Convenient Deli at all times of day, but nothing seems to beat the 2 am Convenient run when you have a hunger pang. With delicious freshly made sandwiches and pre-made food, as well as tons of snacks, chips, cake slices, and ice cream, your hunger will always be satisfied after a trip to Convenient Deli.

What to Order: A freshly made deli sandwich, their hummus and pita, and a slice of peanut butter blast cake

Location: 186 Main St., New Paltz, NY 12561

5. When you want to have a fam dinner, Italian style: Pasquale’s Restaurant & Pizza

SUNY New Paltz

Photo courtesy of @stephanieology on Instagram

Pasquale’s is great for some upstate Italian food when you want to eat family style. Not only do they make pizzas, but their soups, appetizers, pasta dishes, entrees, and desserts are sure to please. Your family or group of friends (who am I kidding, they’re your family too!) will love Pasquale’s.

What to Order: Penne alla Vodka

Location: 248 Main St., New Paltz, NY 12561

6. When your parents are visiting: A Tavola Trattoria

SUNY New Paltz

Photo courtesy of @atavolany on Instagram

Want to go somewhere fancy (and not pick up the tab)? A Tavola is calling you. It’s a 4.5 star restaurant with delicious dinners in a nicely lit setting, your parents will surely love it, and you don’t have to worry about picking up the tab!

What to Order: Farfalle al Pesce

Location: 46 Main St., New Paltz, NY 12561

7. When you want to sit and talk outside: Water Street Market

SUNY New Paltz

Photo Courtesy of @haileymaher on Instagram

Water Street Market is definitely the cutest place in New Paltz, with its vibrant art, great views, artsy vibe, and of course, great food scene. With Kosiner Bros. hot dog cart, fry shack, and doughnut shop, as well as the Mudd Puddle Cafe, the Parish restaurant, and the Cheese Plate (for some killer grilled cheese sandwiches), WSM has it all.

What to Order: An artisan grilled cheese sandwich from The Cheese Plate, followed by a donut from Donut by the Kosiner Brothers.

Location: 10 Main St., New Paltz, NY 12561

8. When you’re tryna get lit: P & G’s Restaurant

SUNY New Paltz

Photo Courtesy of @lovingfoodsince97 on Instagram

After midnight and once the weekend rolls around, P&G’s is the place to go if you’re trying to forget about the long school week that just ended. What starts out as a delicious mom-and-pop restaurant during the day, turns into the #1 party scene at night. Tables are cleared away, and the bar is fully stocked.

What to Order: During the day get one of the many delicious sandwiches with either waffle or zucchini fries. At night, the choice is up to you!

Location: 91 Main St., New Paltz, NY 12561

9. When you need comfort: Krause’s Chocolates of New Paltz

SUNY New Paltz

Photo courtesy of @kittynoms on Instagram

This gourmet chocolate shop is sure to satisfy your chocolate craving. Chocolate fudge, chocolate bark, and chocolate-dipped treats are all fresh, sweet, and delicious.  

#SpoonTip: They have great treats to send home for the holidays.

What to Order: Chocolate covered cheesecake on a stick.

Location: 2 Church St., New Paltz, NY 12561

10. When you’re trying to be healthy: Karma Road

SUNY New Paltz

Photo courtesy of @vegansaurus on Instagram

Looking to find your innermost zen? Karma Road is seriously so delicious, and leaves your body feeling amazing. Their smoothies are so fresh and nutritious and their food is so nourishing. Everything in the store is organic and fresh to order. After a stressful week of eating unhealthily, this is your go-to place.

What to Order: The Afforda-bowl with a sweet potato biscuit and a Berry Bananalow smoothie.

Location: 11 Main Street, New Paltz, NY 12561

11. When you want something sweet: Moxie Cup

SUNY New Paltz

Photo courtesy of @kararogo on Instagram

Have a sweet tooth? Then Moxie Cup is a must-stop-shop for you. It is the perfect place to go if you’re looking for a treat to make your day as sweet as you want it. They also have delicious hot and cold drinks for the two extremes of summer and winter in New Paltz.

What to order: The Moxie Cupcake and an Iced Chai Latte

Location: 184 Main St, New Paltz, NY 12561

12. When you want some kicka$$ salads: Main Course Catering & Marketplace

SUNY New Paltz

Photo Courtesy of @laurenkatzenstein on Instagram

This is also another place that makes you say #DoItForTheGram. Their salads and sandwiches are so aesthetically pleasing and taste even better than they look. All of their ingredients are farm-to-table. Everything on the menu is creative, and full of flavor.

What to Order: Their entree menu changes daily, but you can’t go wrong with the build your own salad option or their soup/salad/sandwich combo.

Location: 175 Main St, New Paltz, NY 12561

13. When you want a free dinner and fishbowl on your birthday: Asian Fusion

SUNY New Paltz

Photo courtesy of @tornbarn on Instagram

You won’t find many birthday specials better than this. Asian Fusion offers you any meal of your choice plus a fish bowl for free on your birthday. This restaurant set-up is ideal for group gatherings (as long as you make reservations). It’s a great place to celebrate the big 2-1.

What to Order: The Asian Fusion Bento Box

Location: 215 Main St, New Paltz, NY 12561

14. When you want to enjoy a beer garden: Schatzi’s Pub & Bier Garden

SUNY New Paltz

Photo courtesy of @zoodlesandhotyoga on Instagram

A new addition to the New Paltz family, and it sure is a great one. Schatzi’s always has 16 different craft beers on tap, and is the perfect place for a night out with friends.  Whether you’re a frat bro looking for a guys night, or ladies looking for a GNO, Schatzi’s is a great place to check out

What to order: The Schatzi’s Burger.

Location: 36 Main St., New Paltz, NY 12561

15. When you want a life-changing burrito: Mexicali Blue

SUNY New Paltz

Photo courtesy of @itsconnahh of Instagram

Mexicali’s Salmon Burrito is sure to change your life for the better.  However, be aware that there is no seating except for a small bench outside. So plan on taking your meal to go.

#SpoonTip: Bring your burrito to Minnewaska State Park and have a picnic with friends.

What to Order: Salmon Burrito or The Guacamole Burrito

Location: 87 Main St., New Paltz, NY 12561