Leaving Baltimore in May is always so bittersweet: I’m no longer weighed down by the stress of back-to-back exams but I’m also distancing myself from the great restaurants that have sustained be through my late teens and early twenties. As I embark on my last year at Hopkins, let me share with you this guide to eating and drinking at Hopkins, so you too can make sure your four years here are filled with as much great food as mine were. 

1. You’re cramming for exams and the library is full: Chocolatea Cafe

The atrium in the Brody Learning Commons is beautiful, but the building sacrifices valuable study space for a ceiling that stretches from B to M level. For those times when you just can’t seem to snag a spot, I recommend walking over to Chocolatea Cafe for a latté, assorted truffles, and a quiet place to escape the chaos that plagues the library during exam weeks.

What to Order: Iced Coffee and Waffles

Location: 3811 Canterbury Rd, Baltimore, MD 21210

2. Your parents are visiting and they’re paying the bill: The Food Market

Consistently featured as one “Baltimore’s Most Popular” restaurants, The Food Market is located in Hampden, just a 25 minute walk or 7 minute drive, from the heart of Hopkins’ campus. According to its chef, “The Food Market focuses on approachable, serious comfort food,” and as someone who has eaten there enough to put a significant dent in her wallet, I urge you to seriously encourage your parents to approach this restaurant’s comfort food when they come to visit. With entrees averaging between $20 to $30, it falls just outside of the average college student’s budget but into your parents’ “treat yourself after all your studying” budget.

What to Order: Amish Soft Pretzels and Braised Short Rib

Location: 1017 W 36th St, Baltimore, MD 21211

3. You’re “doing it for the Insta:” B Doughnut

4. You or your friends don’t eat meat: One World Cafe

I will admit, as a devout meat-eater, I was a bit skeptical when I walked through the doors of One World Cafe. But, all my doubts quickly vanished after I finished that first bite of their Deluxe Nachos. With its extensive menu, ranging from macaroni and cheese, to crispy tofu curry, to jambalaya, One World is the perfect place to go with friends who don’t eat meat or friends who are just willing to venture out of their carnivorous comfort zone.

What to Order: Deluxe Nachos

Location: 100 W University Pkwy, Baltimore, MD 21210

5. You’re craving a slice: Maxie’s Pizza

Those who know me well will tell you that my priorities are family, friends, and pizza, in that order. Though…I have been known to put pizza above friends in the past. Needless to say, when it comes to pizza, trust that I would not lead you astray. Located at the corner of 30th and N. Charles, Maxie’s Pizza never fails to deliver (figuratively speaking, since sadly Maxie’s Pizza does not actually do delivery). Open from 10 AM to 2 AM, Maxie’s is the perfect spot to grab a slice between classes, get a pie with friends for dinner, or roll into when you’ve got the munchies after a night of frat-hopping.

What to Order: Honey Chicken Pizza

Location: 3003 N Charles St, Baltimore, MD 21218

6. You’re trying to be healthy: Honeygrow

So, I’ve never actually been to Honeygrow. But since my Philly friends have given it rave reviews, I feel comfortable referencing in this ultimate guide. With Freshii now as just a fleeting memory, Honeygrow will undoubtedly become the Hopkins students’ go-to healthy spot on St. Paul Street. Make sure to keep an eye out on Spoon University at Johns Hopkins University for a review of all the new restaurants coming to Charles Village!

What to Order: Philly Roast Pork Stir-Fry

Location: 3212 St Paul Street, Baltimore, MD 21218

7. You’re craving something sweet: The Charmery

You scream, I scream, we all scream for ice cream! The Charmery, a quirky, family-owned favorite among the Baltimore locals, is also just a 25 minute walk from campus. Though if you’re like me and are not particularly inclined to walk to get your sugar fix, just hop on the Blue Jay Shuttle’s Pink Route and you’ll be there in just 10 minutes. The Charmery offers the classics like chocolate and vanilla, but the flavors that have made it famous include Old Bay® Caramel and Berger Cookies & Cream. On a nice autumn evening, the line may wrap around the corner, but trust me when I say that it is well worth the wait.

What to Order: Berger Cookies & Cream

Location: 801 W 36th St, Baltimore, MD 21211

8. You turn 21: PJ’s Pub Charles Village

It’s finally time to trade in your dreaded vertical ID for an oh-so coveted horizontal one. Located just across the street from The Beach, you won’t have to wander too far to throw one back once you’ve thrown in the towel at the library. While PJ’s typically won’t get crowded until after 12 AM, I genuinely think there is nothing wrong with popping in at any hour of the day. I may not necessarily be setting the best example, but that’s not really the point here now is it?

What to Order: Kamikaze Shots

Location: 3333 N Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218

9. You’re sick of Starbucks: Carma’s Cafe

While Carma’s Cafe may be tucked away and underground on 32nd Street, it should by no means be overlooked. This cozy cafe is the perfect place to satisfy your caffeine craving, whether that be leisurely with a homemade pastry or on the go as you make your way back to the library.

What to Order: Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup

Location: 3120 St Paul St #7, Baltimore, MD 21218

10. You have the munchies at 2 am: Uni Mini (“University Market”)

First things first: call it “University Market” and you will be laughed out of the room. Aside from the library, Uni Mini is the most frequented spot among Hopkins students, and after your first year, it too will hold a very special place in your heart. While the store stocks up on the essentials like toilet paper, hand soap, milk, etc. during the daytime hours, it’s most known for what it sells after midnight. Off the grill and out of the fryer come delicacies like chicken filet with hash browns and mozzarella sticks. Open 24/7, Uni Mini is the perfect place to roll through after a night out. And have no fear, they take J-cash.

What to Order: Mozzarella Sticks

Location: 3201 St Paul St, Baltimore, MD 21218