You can’t enjoy any season without herbs and spices. It’s common to see them used in baking and cooking, but did you know they could be used medicinally? Here’s how to get the most out of five common herbs and spices this season.

Cinnamon

Cinnamon can help in relieving indigestion and nausea. The next time you feel sick or overwhelmingly full from a huge meal, try some cinnamon tea! Just simmer three or four cinnamon sticks in two cups of water and sweeten with some honey.

spices

Photo by Claudia Shultz

Cloves

Spent too much on candles this holiday season? Let cloves be your hero by sticking some into oranges and placing them around the house as decorative air-fresheners. You might also want to try chewing on a clove to get rid of bad breath, but don’t swallow it! If you find yourself with muscle or joint pains, roast some cloves for a couple minutes, wrap them in a towel and apply to sore spots for relief.

spices

Photo courtesy of stephanielevy

Nutmeg

Nutmeg helps digestion, settles tummy aches and helps you fall asleep. Just add a small pinch of ground nutmeg to a cup of warm ginger tea to help with stomach problems. On nights you can’t fall asleep, heat up some milk and sprinkle in some ground nutmeg.

Warning: Use nutmeg only in small amounts. It can be toxic in large doses.

spices

Photo courtesy of Diana

Ginger

Ginger helps increase circulation and relieves congestion and nausea. Make ginger tea to help reboot your system. Steep one or two teaspoons of freshly grated ginger or ½ teaspoon of powdered ginger in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes. But beware, ginger can be pretty spicy! You can always make things sweeter with a touch of honey.

spices

Photo courtesy of Mood

Mint

Peppermint can also be very helpful as it stimulates digestion, eliminates nausea and toxins and helps freshen your breath. If taking after-dinner mints or mint gum isn’t enough, try a cup of freshly brewed mint tea. Take two cups of fresh mint leaves and steep them in a pot of boiling water for a good 8-10 minutes and enjoy! Looking for more peppermint superpowers? Check here and here.

spices

Photo courtesy of marguerite

This season should be filled with nothing but sugar, spice and everything nice. So go ahead and treat yo’ self to the many health benefits these herbs and spices have to offer!