Do you ever find yourself laying in bed, staring at the ceiling just waiting to fall asleep? There are numerous factors that can contribute to lack of sleep, but did you know that diet is a huge factor that can affect your sleeping patterns? Before you try taking sleeping pills or waste time staring into space, check out these five foods that can help you sleep.

1. Walnuts

Walnuts are not only a great source of protein and help manage weight loss, but they also contain the amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan increases production of serotonin and melatonin, hormones that help control your sleep-wake cycles, allowing people to fall asleep faster. Add walnuts to your salad or take them as a snack on the go.

2. Lettuce

lettuce

Photo by Rohan Bajaj

Low in calories and easy to incorporate into many dishes, lettuce is very beneficial for your sleep. It contains lactucarium, a fluid that has sedative properties, which produces a calming effect. When eaten, lettuce reduces irritability and makes people feel relaxed, which makes it easier to fall asleep.

3. Milk

milk

Photo by Rohan Bajaj

Similar to walnuts, milk also contains tryptophan, known for making people sleepy. In addition to this, milk is filled with calcium, which triggers the brain to produce tryptophan, causing people to fall asleep much quicker. Enjoy a glass of milk with dinner or mix it with some cereal which is also proven to help people sleep (see below).

4. Cereal

cereal2

Photo by Rohan Bajaj

There are two reasons why cereal is beneficial for sleep. The first is that cereal is a carbohydrate. Carbs are known to temporarily spike blood sugar and then lower blood pressure, which leaves people feeling tired. In addition, cereal is filled with vitamin B6. This vitamin is important because it is needed when producing melatonin, a sleep-inducing hormone. Add it on top of yogurt or eat it with some milk and you’re set.

5. Bananas

banana

Photo by Rohan Bajaj

Bananas are known to control heart rate, lower blood pressure, strengthen bones and improve eyesight. But did you also know that bananas help increase sleep?  Bananas are high in potassium and magnesium, which are known to relax muscles and cause people to feel sleepy. Also, bananas are high in carbs and leave people feeling tired. Try blending into a smoothie or as an afternoon snack.