Get ready, summer is coming. Flowers are in full bloom, bees are buzzing and tummies are rumbling. The best part about the season changing is the change of foods and ingredients. Fresh produce and fragrant herbs start to replace the hearty meals from colder weather. My favorite foods are foods that start to be available once the sun comes out to play, and below I have gathered a few that epitomize my favorite season.

Blueberry Muffins

summer

Photo by Katherine Luchette

Even though you can get a blueberry muffin almost anytime of the year, it isn’t until the blueberries come into season that they taste like sunshine. Usually I’ll go for a lemon poppyseed but from the months of April through August blueberry muffins are my number one choice.

Ants On a Log

summer

Photo by Haley Durham

With outdoor activities come ants, and with ants come ants on a log.

Dandelion Salad

summer

Photo by Emma Danbury

Dandelion greens are extremely good for you, and are only available once the seasons change.

Berry Smoothies

summer

Photo by Rachel Piorko

You could try to have a berry smoothie during the winter, but why would you want to? It would taste terrible and make you even colder than you are already. Summertime means delicious smoothies.

Cup of Dirt

summer

Photo by Haley Durham

Nothing says summertime like actually getting to spend time outdoors. Be a kid again and roll around in the dirt, embrace the worms. Also this snack is too fun not to make.

Strawberry Shortcake

summer

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Strawberries actually start tasting like strawberries now that they have gotten a chance to ripen in the sun – no more of that frozen stuff here – and that’s something to celebrate.

Pea Tendrils

summer

Photo by Emma Danbury

These curly green shoots look just like the fresh green grass you’ll be sitting in on one of your many picnics this summer. They are also a delecious addition to any salad, or add them to your sandwich instead of sprouts.

Sorbet

summer

Photo by Katherine Richter

Sorbet is just the best, and what better way to utilize all the fresh fruit than to blend it up and make it into a delicious dessert?