2015 was filled with kale – kale shakes, kale salads, kale soup, everything kale. I’m sure kale could be a fashion trend if it really tried. I kale you not. Anyways, 2016 is going to filled with new healthy foods to try out (thankfully). Here are the biggest five.

Matcha

health

Photo courtesy of Cindy Taylor from flickr.com

This is a Japanese green tea in powder form and can be easily stirred into milk or hot water. Coffee shops everywhere will soon have matcha on their menus, including Starbucks. In fact you can find it on the secret menu website.

Not only will it be in drinks, but it will be popular in desserts and brunch items. There are already cafes dedicated to matcha, such as MatchaBar in New York City and Matcha Box in Los Angeles, so don’t be surprised when they pop up all over the country. Matcha will be the new Chia Tea Latte.

Seaweed

health

Photo by Jaye Lind

Seaweed is the new kale. It has skin care benefits and could even combat climate change. This article in The New Yorker describes seaweed as a superfood. With the farming technique used, it can change the world for the better. You can make it into a salad or a sandwich with these recipes.

Nut milk

health

Photo by Grace Bodkin

People are drinking more nut and seed milk than ever before. With all the news of the dairy intolerance and bad press surrounding soy, people are now turning to nut milks. People now want milks that are all natural and emulsifier free. Consumers are now looking at the ingredients, and becoming more aware of what exactly is in their foods. Nut milks will soon beat out regular milk. You can even make your own nut milk with this recipe.

The Nordic diet

health

Photo by Elina Vanuska

The Nordic diet will be the new Mediterranean diet. This new diet comes from the healthy people of Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Finland and Sweden. It includes seasonal local produce, canola oil, fatty fish and the protein skyr. One nordic food is skyr – which is an Icelandic cheese made from skim milk, but in the

One nordic food is skyr – which is an Icelandic cheese made from skim milk, but in the US, it’s just yogurt. The nutritional content is similar to Greek yogurt, but skyr is thicker and a little more sweeter than Greek yogurt. Eating the way of the Nordic diet is linked to reduced blood pressure and weight loss.

Plant-based meals

health

Photo by Cathy Danh

Good news for all of you vegans – the big trend of 2016 will be the glorification of vegetables, according to Huffington Post. Al’s Place restaurant in San Francisco was Bon Appetite’s top restaurant of the year; and one of the many new vegetable-forward eateries. Some predicted popular vegetables for 2016 are colorful squash, parsnips, broccoflower, and rainbow carrots.

Here is to 2016, full of new adventures and even more health food trends.

health