Fall is my favourite season because it’s the season of change: the change of leaves, hair colours, Starbucks drinks (pumpkin spice lattes, obviously), and the change of people like you and me. I always try to change up something about myself because discovery is the only way to grow. This year, I wanted to explore going vegan and vegetarian and see what affect it could have on my health.

To do that, given that I work at a bookstore, I decided to find some of the newest and best books to learn from. Perhaps you'd wanna take a shot at veganism and vegetarianism too? You've come to the right place.

Here is a list of the best new vegan and vegetarian books you need to read ASAP. Cherish these treasures in your personal bookstagram collection and, in return, they will guide you into this wonderfully healthy path of veganism and vegetarianism.

1. Oh She Glows Everyday by Angela Liddon

milk, coffee, cake
Charlotte Nip

Everyone who is a vegan or vegetarian tells me to start with Angela Liddon books first. If you ever walk into a Chapters or Indigo bookstore, there are a gazillion copies of her books EVERYWHERE.

If you’re a lazy chef like me, you probably wouldn’t want to read complicated and lengthy recipes that seem more overwhelming than fun. However, Oh She Glows Everyday features over 100 simple and basic recipes for busy college students like you and me.

Almost every recipe is attached to a bright and stunning picture of the food or beverage, so you’ll definitely have a clear image to follow. There is a nice variety from colourful creamy smoothies, leafy green salads, snacks, entrees, and even pretty desserts. She also includes a section in the back for homemade staples that you can definitely stock up for this upcoming winter.

My manager at work swears by the “Golden French Lentil Stew,” and as the rookie chef that I am, I followed the recipe and I agree with her 101%.

2. Vegan Bowl Attack by Jackie Sobon

vegetable, salad, pepper
Charlotte Nip

Are you so sick of boring commercial and mainstream campus food like me? But also sick of soggy crumbled sandwiches or bland leftovers from the other night? Well then this book is for you if you said YES to any of those questions. Vegan Bowl Attack has over 100 one-dish recipes that you can definitely fit in a cute mason jar or a bento box to make it more transportable.

Literally every recipe in this book is so colourful and Instagram-worthy, you’ll have the next hit foodie Instagram in no time. Most of these recipes will take you less than 20 minutes, so if you want to make them the night before, it’s definitely doable.

Everyone around you will be so jealous of your lunch boxes now, and all these recipes are so healthy and will give you enough energy to get through a long lecture--filled day

3. Easy. Whole. Vegan. by Melissa King

herb, chocolate
Charlotte Nip

When I asked my coworker to tell me his favourite new vegan book of 2016, he disappeared within a crowd of people of our cooking section and came back within seconds with this book in his hand. If he can find this book out of the million cookbooks that we have, then clearly it is a good sign. 

The title says it all: easy, whole, vegan. When I flipped through the book, all the steps in the recipes were so concise and easy to follow. This book is meant for busy families to create no-stress meals, but just from looking at the gorgeous and colourful pages, I know this is 100% true.

These recipes feel very homey and memorable. They feel like things I would have eaten as a child, if I were vegan then

4. Minimalist Baker’s Everyday Cooking by Dana Shultz

bread, meat, parsley, vegetable, beef
Charlotte Nip

I know this book has many everyday recipes for the three main meals of your day, but I can’t even begin to tell you how delicious and mouthwatering the recipes are. The No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Bars is definitely my favourite. I made them for my friend one weekend and she couldn't stop devouring them, so it's a telling sign.

Every recipe in the book is so simple to make and requires less than 10 ingredients and 30 minutes of your time—and the end result feels like restaurant-quality food. This is perfect for the newbie chefs like me. With this no-fuss approach to cooking, you will be the next Masterchef in no time.

5. Thug Kitchen 101 by Thug Kitchen, LLC

sweet, candy, corn
Charlotte Nip

If you’re a thug kitchen fan, you’ll know that the motto to these books is eating like you don’t give a f*ck because the recipes are THAT easy, and you SLAY too much to be eating trash food. All the recipes are guaranteed to take less time than a Domino's Pizza delivery. Thugs eat #boss food that’s meant for Beyoncé and Kanye West because your hustling is worth a lot.

The motto for this book is: fast as f*ck, so my top reason to get this book will also be the same: EAT LIKE A THUG. BUY THUG KITCHEN 101. TREAT YOSELF.  

I am not sponsored for this article, but I fully endorse each of these books and recipes that are mentioned. So get cooking