Some snacks get all the glory – Subway cookies, hummus and pita chips, Ramen noodles, granola bars, and good ol’ healthy fruit. All worthy of praise indeed. But let it be known, a new snack is on the rise and it’s the simplest of all: toast. It’s quick, cheap, perfect for breakfast, lunch, dinner, AND munchies, and provides a classic backdrop for unlimited combos of t(o)asty spreads and toppings. Let’s get bready to crumble.
1. Coconut butter + honey + shredded coconut
How could you not go coconuts for this tropical treat?
2. Almond butter + honey + cinnamon + pecans + dried cranberries
Make it healthy with some whole wheat bread, and you basically work at Whole Foods.
3. Peanut butter + bananas + honey + walnuts
Substitute the walnuts for bacon, and you have yourself Elvis Presley’s sandwich. I can’t help falling in love (with this sandwich).
4. Butter + cinnamon + sugar + 1/2 cup milk
“Milk toast” – because cereal is so last year.
Make no mistake; the bread shape was chosen for a reason.
6. Orange Marmalade
Never will I ever substitute jam. Marmalade is the way to go. What is the difference, you ask? Marmalade contains rind, which lends a bitterness to balance the sweetness. And it’s better.
7. Fried eggs + bacon + hash browns + cheddar cheese
For all the nonconformists who fake their distaste for McDonald’s (the jig’s up – you love it).
8. Mascarpone cheese + blueberries + raspberries + honey
When I die, I’d like to be berried with these.
9. Braunschweiger liverwurst
Take a walk on the wild side with pig and calf livers. If I can eat pig’s feet in Germany, you can eat this delicious deli meat.
10. Roasted pineapple + ham + swiss cheese
Did you know that each pineapple tree only produces just one pineapple a year? Do not let it go to waste!
11. Avocado + poached egg + salmon
N.e.c.e.s.s.a.r.y: Never eat chips, eat smoked salmon, and remain young.
12. Peanut butter + bacon + maple syrup
Don’t go bacon my heart. You couldn’t if you fried (this toast). (The puns are endless)
13. Simple over-easy eggs
Too simple for you? Add some hot sauce or Sriracha for that extra kick!
14. Smoky beans + gammon
That’s right – gammon. Because you’re too gourmet for regular ham.
15. Chocolate custard + raisins + dark and white chocolate drops + mini marshmallows + pistachios
I took the road less traveled, and that has made all the difference. The rocky road. A poem by Jess Hayes.
16. Poached egg + mushrooms
There’s mushroom in my heart for this traditional toast!
17. Butter + garlic salt + cheddar cheese + oregano
What do you say when someone takes your cheese? Leave my provolone! (Nailed it) But actually, cheddar cheese tastes better.
18. Butter + cinnamon + sugar + grated nutmeg
I included the grated nutmeg because I know it’s an essential for every college student.
19. Sliced apple + mashed pumpkin + cheddar cheese
Rumor has it that even mashed pumpkin baby food tastes good on this toast, but please take that advice with a grain of salt – no pun intended.
20. Almond butter + honey + crumbled pecans
At last, we have peanut butter, hazelnut butter (Nutella), and almond butter. So basically any butter works.
Now let’s toast to that!