It’s midterm season. And let’s be honest, we’re all struggling through those nights with no time for sleep. Although everyone may tell you that pulling all-nighters is a bad idea, procrastination is too real. So, instead of chugging down gallons of coffee and crashing later in the day, try these tastier and healthier alternatives that will help you stay awake and alert during your studying.

1. Yogurt

midterm

photo by Katie Fletcher

High in probiotics, a good type of bacteria that aids in digestive help, yogurt can combat chronic fatigue. Studies show that after eating a couple ounces of probiotic rich yogurt twice daily for multiple weeks, subjects demonstrate improvements in fatigue symptoms, physical and mental health. Try eating yogurt to help energize yourself for the hours of studying to come!

2. Whole Grains

midterm

photo by Katie Fletcher

Carbohydrates are essential to boosting energy. To stay alert and awake, choose snacks loaded with good carbs like whole grain crackers, oatmeal and whole wheat bread. How does this work? Your body digests and releases complex carbohydrates slowly, keeping your blood sugar stable. These sugars, in turn, help to provide bursts of energy, keeping you out of a slump.

3. Walnuts

midterm

photo courtesy of Taco Witte

Walnuts have the most omega-3 concentration of any nut. Studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids help to reduce inflammation, combat depression and improve mood and memory while providing a boost of energy. Also, walnuts are super easy to snack on while plowing through those pages of reading.

4. Dark Chocolate

midterm

photo by Kristina Kim

Try to find dark chocolate with the highest cacao concentration possible. Cacao has nutrients that fight stress and help boost energy and focus. Cacao nibs contain theobromine, a substance in the central nervous system that has the same, awakening effect as caffeine. It’ll help give you a energy boost in a healthier way than most caffeine stimulants. (Plus, it tastes good!)

5. Tea

midterm

photo by Katie Fletcher

Tea is a delicious beverage for an energy boost. Instead of crash-inducing 5-Hour Energy drinks or multiple shots of coffee, try this healthier alternative. Studies show that drinking a cup of black tea four to six times a day reduces stress hormone levels in your body, which helps you have a nice, energized study session.

6. Citrus Fruit

midterm

photo by Katie Fletcher

Citrus fruits are full of immune-boosting Vitamin C, which will help boost your energy and improve alertness. Studies show that even just the scent of citrus fruits can help improve your alertness and cure chronic fatigue.

7. Water (the colder the better)

midterm

photo by Katie Fletcher

Drinking water is good for you in many ways, but it can also give you a boost of energy. Dehydration can cause major fatigue and sluggishness. So, if you want to feel more energized, try having a water bottle nearby to sip on whenever you start to feel tired or sleepy. Water, especially if it’s ice cold, will help you stay awake and alert while studying.

Check out these other midterm snacking ideas (we know you just want to procrastinate):

Midterm Mayhem: Foods to Keep You Awake

Midterm Munchies

Eating Your Midterm Feelings