With all of the frozen yogurt shops popping up around the country offering an overload of mundane flavors and toppings you can serve yourself, old-fashioned ice cream shops are rare and undervalued. Salt & Straw, a Portland-based ice cream company, has recently opened a location in Venice, CA, one of four other Los Angeles locations. This sweet spot not only serves up premium ice cream but also offers excellent service and an adorable atmosphere in which to enjoy your scoops.

Located on a street named “the coolest block in America” by GQ — Abbot Kinney Blvd — Salt & Straw fits right in and adds tremendous flavor to the neighborhood.

Ice Cream

Photo by Emily Kirsch

As you take your first step through the door, you will be bombarded by the sweet smell of sugar cones, and your heart will begin to race with excitement. Do not be overwhelmed by the classy decor, or the line of customers waiting to taste – stay focused and prepare for your ascension to ice cream heaven.

Offering a wide variety of very unique flavors like black olive brittle and goat cheese, freckled woodblock chocolate and avocado, and strawberry sherbet, Salt & Straw really delivers in flavor and quality. Don’t be scared away by the odd flavors, they serve up the classics that you’ll be expecting as well.

Ice Cream

Photo by Emily Kirsch

This said, I urge each and every one of you to throw your favorites aside and go for a double scoop of their lavender honey in a waffle cone. This ice cream will change your life. One lick of lavender, and I promise you will never go back to chocolate or strawberry, and you can forget about vanilla.

Not only is the color the most beautiful shade of purple you’ve ever seen, the sweet yet refreshing taste will send you into ice cream ecstasy.

At first lick, I was hooked, and I have been dreaming of this lavender treat ever since. Seriously, I am losing sleep over it. Do not miss out on Salt & Straw’s ice cream experience.