Not all cookies are created equal. Some are too hard and others just lack the gooiness to make you go “ahhh” in heavenly exhalation. Here, I present to you the key to baking the best chocolate chip cookies every. single. time.

These babies don’t even need a mixer, so they can be made right in your dorm or apartment. All you need is some simple ingredients, cookie sheets, bowls and an oven; then you’re all set to go. Get ready to impress your friends and family. With recipe, you’ll be the one sending cookies to your mom!

Medium

Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 11-12 mins
Total Time: approx. 2 hours 30 mins (including chill time)

Servings: 10

2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 and 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup light brown sugar, loosely packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chocolate chips or chocolate chunks

1. Mix together the flour, baking soda, cornstarch and salt in a large bowl.

chocolate chip cookie

Photo by Scott Harrington

2. In another bowl whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar. Make sure no brown sugar lumps remain.

chocolate chip cookie

Photo by Scott Harrington

3. Whisk the egg and then the egg yolk into the sugar mixture. Finally, whisk the vanilla into the mixture.

chocolate chip cookie

Photo by Scott Harrington

4. Pour the sugar mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix them together with a rubber spatula or a large spoon.

chocolate chip cookie

Photo by Scott Harrington

5. Fold in the chocolate chips.

chocolate chip cookie

Photo by Scott Harrington

6. Cover the dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.

chocolate chip cookie

Photo by Scott Harrington

7. Take the dough out of the refrigerator and let it soften on the counter for 10 minutes. While it’s softening, preheat the oven to 325°F and spray two baking sheets (or line them with parchment paper).

chocolate chip cookie

Photo by Scott Harrington

8. Roll the dough into balls, about 3 tablespoons each. Because of the chilling, the dough will be slightly crumbly; just keep pressing the balls together and the heat of your hands will make them stick. Place each ball onto the baking sheets. When rolling, make sure that each cookie is taller than it is wide. This means that you’ll actually be creating cylinders with the dough.

chocolate chip cookie

Photo by Scott Harrington

9. Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes. They will look underbaked and too soft–that’s exactly how you want them! As they chill on the cookie sheets on the counter, they will continue to bake.

chocolate chip cookie

Photo by Scott Harrington

10. Let them cool on the cookie sheets for 10 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.

chocolate chip cookie

Photo by Scott Harrington

11. Take a bite and enjoy the perfection!

Note: These babies will stay soft for days at room temperature. Just keep them covered so no roommates try to steal them!