Something really cool happened. I joined the University of Puget Sound chapter of Spoon University without big expectations. I love food, I love eating, and I love talking about it. I thought, at best, this would just be something fun and cool to write on my resume. But something better happened, and it made me realize how much even a small Spoon University chapter can help the world be a little bit better. And not just by eating Ice Cream Social’s delectable sweet treats.

ice cream

Photo by Colleen Hanson

We partnered with Ice Cream Social on May 12th, 2016. Why? What happened? Let me tell you. Anyone who walked in that day, bought ice cream, and mentioned Spoon University contributed to donating to the American Cancer Society. This delightful ice cream business in Tacoma donated a portion of the proceeds that came from those who mentioned Spoon University.

ice cream

Photo by Colleen Hanson

This place literally has lines out of their door on the daily. The smell of (constant) freshly made waffle cones fills the entire store and wafts down 6th Ave, beckoning customers in. And let me tell you, a lot of them are students. So the fact that we can help make the world, not just a little sweeter, but also a little richer…well that just makes this seem so much more valuable.

Ice Cream Social has a constant set of flavors ranging from vanilla and chocolate to salted caramel and Valhalla coffee (and coconut milk for those dairy free crazies). But they also have a whole bunch of rotating flavors. My personal favorite has to be their lavender ice cream. I’m normally pretty wary of lavender flavored things just because it’s a pretty strong and pungent flavor, but boy does Ice Cream Social do it right.

If that doesn’t float your boat there is also fresh mint, and buttered popcorn and pistachio-cherry-chocolate, and blueberry and raspberry and grilled peach and buttered popcorn and oh my I’m salivating so much. I think you get it, it’s amazing. If there’s one place I’d never be able to stop going in Tacoma, it’s Ice Cream Social.

#SpoonTip: It’s always worth it to get the waffle cone. Try a bunch of flavors beforehand (for free) and you get twice as much as you’ll ever need.

ice cream

Photo by Colleen Hanson

So, have some ice cream this summer and enjoy some sweet treats. I’m going to revel in the fact that I can do something I love and contribute to society in a meaningful way. I can’t wait to see what our chapter does next.