If you thought your food posts are artsy, you have to see what this 21-year-old artist from Armenia can create with his fashion designs. You won’t be able to decide whether to wear it or eat it.

Edgar Artis (a particularly fitting name) brings fashion sketches into the third dimension by incorporating every day objects and cut outs into his designs. He’ll use just about anything and everything from buildings, to matchsticks, and even butter to turn something rather basic into something beautiful.

art

Photo courtesy of @edgar_artis on Instagram

With over 120k Instagram followers and almost 12,000 likes on his Facebook page, his work has reached worldwide recognition and praise. I had to find out more about Artis and his work (and about food, of course).

art

Photo courtesy of Instagram

Spoon University: When did you start creating these unique designs?

Edgar Artis: I started creating [my designs] in December of 2015.

SU: How do you find inspiration for your work?

EA: My inspirations are Shamekh Bluwi and Kristina Webb. I love their works so very much.

SU: What are some foods that you plan on using in the future?

EA: Honestly, I don’t even know. I’m looking for inspiration almost everywhere. I’ll try to do as many crazy illustrations as possible.

art

SU: Have you ever eaten any of your food creations?

EA: I eat them while creating but not after [they are finished].

SU: Do you have a favorite food-related design?

EA: My favorite design is made of pomegranate.

art

SU: How long, on average, does it take to make each design?

EA: It takes [between] one and four hours to create one design. It depends on the difficulty of food structure. Sometimes it is very hard to shape the food how I want it.

SU: What are some of your more popular designs?

EA: The most popular on my Instagram page [are the ones] made of milk and Pepsi. [The designs] made of soap and burnt matchsticks are also very popular.

art

Photos courtesy of @edgar_artis on Instagram

SU: Which design is your personal favorite?

EA: My favorite design is made with matchsticks. I think it’s very soft and beautiful.

art

SU: What do you want people to think when they see your work?

EA: I want them to smile. My dream is to inspire and bring some joy to their life. It is very important to me.

SU: What is your favorite food?

EA: There are so many…I don’t know. I like fruit and chocolate…But I think I like everything.

art

SU: What is your opinion of American food versus Armenian food?

EA: I have never been to America, but it’s my dream. I think [both types] are delicious, and I think that Americans would like Armenian food also.

SU: What is one Armenian dish that every American should try?

EA: Armenian Dolma and Armenian barbecue

art

Looking at Artis’ work, I think people overlook the beauty that surrounds us day by day. We become so caught up in what’s newer, bigger, better, higher tech, and grander that it’s easy to forget the joy in life’s simple moments.

Creative artists, like Edgar Artis, humbly implore us to see how simplicity may also be spectacular. I think that’s what Spoon achieves, too, with food. The simple things, like food and other every day marvels bring people from all across the world together, which is something we can all sink our teeth into.

art