How many of you still stick with your healthy green smoothie in the morning when it’s cold outside? For me, I can’t keep up my smoothie routine in these kind of temperatures. My blender has been stored in the back of my pantry, and not been touched since November.

Spring weather seems still a little far away, and all I want was waking up to a warm breakfast in the morning. But, I want to have healthy lifestyle as well. And I suddenly thought, “what about miso soup?”

Miso soup is a traditional Japanese soup made of miso paste, dashi, and your preferred ingredients like tofu and seaweed. Jamie Oliver loves miso soup too, so all the more reason to learn about miso soup’s benefits. Check why miso is the superfood that you never knew you were missing from your diet.

1. Miso soup is a low calorie food.

miso soup

A cup of miso soup with tofu and onion spring, which are very authentic Japanese added ingredients for the soup, is under 100 calories.

2. Miso is surprisingly nutritious.

miso soup

Photo courtesy of ask.com

This fermented superfood has it all. The nutrients include vitamin B2, vitamin E, vitamin K, calcium, iron, potassium, choline and lecithin.

3. Miso is packed with protein and it’s approved by a Mountain Everest climber.

miso soup

Photo courtesy of misotasty.com

Adventurer and explorer Noel Hanna, who has climbed Mountain Everest seven times, carries portable miso soup packets when he adventures. Apparently, miso takes good care of every type of person.

4. Miso prevents you from aging early.

miso soup

Photo courtesy of tastymiso.com

This soup can kill two birds with one stone. Miso is high in antioxidants and strengthens your immune system. If you consume a bowl of miso soup daily, you are in good hands. Glowing skin and a healthy immune system are on your way… now you go tell your mom.

5. Miso soup is lazy people friendly food.

miso soup

Photo courtesy of memegenerator.net

It takes under five minutes to make, perfect for lazy people like myself! Pour hot water into miso paste and stir until just combined. DONE!

6. Miso eases hormonal imbalance naturally.

miso soup

Photo courtesy of tastymiso.com

Meaning, ladies, it helps with PMS. Because miso includes phytoestrogen, a naturally-occurring plant nutrient that exerts an estrogen-like action on the body. Having 1 to 3 servings of phytoestrogens per day balances you hormones.

Sorry guys, but women deal with cramps, mood swings, sugar cravings, and water retention monthly for biological reasons. If the females in your life are being cranky, moody and stressed, serve them up a bowl of miso soup.

Now go ahead, and buy some miso soup to start your day with the warmth and good flavor!