There is no such thing as too many mason jar crafts. This one features sand-art like layers of cookie dough ingredients topped off with a tasteful handmade tag. With the holidays just around the corner, ditch the ordinary gift card to Philz Coffee or box of chocolates and go for something homemade and personalized instead (not to mention, easier on your budget, too). This article is for (unbaked) cowboy cookies, but you can pretty much use any cookie recipe.

Easy

Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: none
Total time:
20 minutes

Servings: 1 jar

1 cup rolled oats
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
¹⁄3 cup chopped nuts
¾ cup chocolate chips
1 ¹⁄3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 quart-sized mason jar
Some ribbon and paper
Piece of cloth

1. Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Set aside for now.
2. Start layering! Pour in oats first, then brown sugar. Press down well with a spoon, your hand or the bottom of a measuring cup.

mason jar

Photo by Luna Zhang

TIP: It’s easier and less messy to use a funnel. If you don’t have one, make a cone with a wide mouth out of printer paper and tape to seal it.

mason jar

Photo by Luna Zhang

3. Add white sugar next, then chopped nuts. TIP: Gently tap the jar after adding each layer to even the top out; this will result in more uniform layers.

mason jar

Photo by Luna Zhang

4. Add chocolate chips on top of nuts and finally, flour. Don’t forget to press flour down; it will fill rest of jar. If you don’t want flour to sift down to chocolate chip layer, put it at very bottom of jar.

mason jar

Photo by Luna Zhang

5. Place silver lid and cloth on top and seal it with outer ring.

mason jar

Photo by Luna Zhang

6. Write baking directions on a piece of paper and attach it with ribbon.

mason jar

Photo by Luna Zhang

Ta-da! Your holiday headache is all gone.

Original recipe from here.