Let’s face it. French fries are about the most common thing on any menu. Most of us eat fries at least once a week, but let’s be honest, it’s probably closer to once a day. I don’t see any problem with this because french fries are simply mouthwatering. They pair well with most food and are just as scrumptious on their own.

Another aspect of fries that makes them so intriguing to most people is how versatile they are. They can be thin, thick, waffle, curly, you name it. Not to mention the variety of ways in which they can be seasoned. But with such a diversity, it’s sometimes difficult to decide which one best suits you.

That’s why I went on a french-fry-eating weekend. I tasted (and re-tasted) fries from most fast food restaurants as well as nicer restaurants. To my surprise, some of the best fries were served at restaurants I had never even been to. So here’s my ranking of the top five places to order french fries in Knoxville.

5. McDonald’s

Ok, so no shock here. You really just can’t compete with McDonald’s on this one. Perfectly salted, piping hot, and just the right shape to eat several at a time. If you’ve never had these fries before, it’s been intentional no doubt. Check out more about McDonald’s here.

knoxville fries

Photo by Trissa Gurney

cheap

Location: 1720 Cumberland Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37912
Hours of Operation: Mon-Sun 6am-11pm

4. Five Guys

Whoever these Five Guys are, they clearly know what they’re doing. From the sound of sizzling burgers to the all-too-familiar aroma of wonderful fast-food, Five Guys has quite a bit to offer, not the least of which is their fries. Served in a brown paper bag, a single order of these freshly-cut fries will serve a small army. Check out more about Five Guys here.

knoxville fries

Photo by Trissa Gurney

cheap

Location: 234 Brookview Center, Knoxville, TN 37919
Hours of Operation: Mon-Sun 11am-10pm

3. Calhoun’s

Calhoun’s certainly lives up to it’s reputation as one of the best places to have a business lunch. Not only does it serve the best BBQ in town, it also has way underrated fries. Sure they look ordinary and might be overshadowed by a delicious entrée, but they have some kind of addicting seasoning that makes you want more and more. I highly recommend you add this as a side next time you eat here. Check about more about Calhoun’s here.

knoxville fries

Photo by Grayson Mynatt

average

Location: 400 Neyland Drive, Knoxville, TN 37902
Hours of Operation: Sun-Thurs 11am-10pm, Fri-Sat 11am-11:30pm

2. Red Robin

Just to be inclusive, I thought it would be nice to include sweet potato fries. I’ve always been a huge skeptic of sweet potato fries. But if there’s one restaurant out there that could have changed my mind, it’s Red Robin. For all other sweet potato fry haters, you have to give this one a try. Check out more about Red Robin here.

knoxville fries

Photo by Trissa Gurney

average

Location: 11433 Parkside Drive, Farragut, TN 37934
Hours of Operation: Sun-Thurs 11am-10pm, Fri-Sat 11am-11pm

1. Backyard Burgers

This one is it. Not only did it surprise me that it even made it on this list, but it actually has earned my #1 spot to order french fries. Why? Just look below. The fact that Parmesan cheese is sprinkled over these tender waffle fries along with a garlic seasoning salt makes them the clear winner. Seriously, you don’t know the full potential of french fries until you try these out. Check out more about Backyard Burgers here.

knoxville fries

Photo by Grayson Mynatt

cheap

Location: 10008 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37922
Hours of Operation: Sun-Thurs 10:30am-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 10:30am-10pm