There are only two things that can get me going in the morning: a steaming, hot latte or a steamy sweat session. I love to work out and treat my body well, but I also have a very serious relationship with coffee (Spoon’s comprehensive ‘Guide to Coffee’ is more of a love letter than an informational guide for me). While my addiction may have prevented me from pursuing these questions in the past, I am brave enough to ask now: Where does this drink fall on the health scale? Should I kick it to the curb if I’m looking to treat my body well? Lucky for me (and the majority of the world), it turns out coffee is loaded with benefits.

Benefits

• Coffee can protect your body from a host of diseases, such as Parkinson’s, liver cancer and type 2 diabetes.
  • It has a ton of antioxidants (take that, cranberries).
  • People who drink up to six cups a day show no signs of increased risk of death by cardiovascular disease or cancer, as previously believed (thanks for the reassurance, Harvard!).
  • Coffee keeps your brain alert and healthy — evidence reveals that consumption wards off Alzheimer’s and dementia later on in life, and according to the Huffington Post, it can even mitigate stress.
  • It builds strength: Some studies report that the trace of caffeine in coffee has a similar effect to that of exercise on the ability to repair muscles.
is coffee good for you

Photo by Hannah Lin

Risks

• The most popular drinks, like lattes and mochas, can contain many unwanted calories in the use of heavy sweeteners, syrups, whole milk and whipped cream.
  • High consumption of unfiltered coffee has been linked to high cholesterol.
  • Heavy caffeine use (which the Mayo Clinic cites as “4 to 7 cups a day”) can lead to restlessness, irritability, anxiety and loss of sleep.
  • Caffeine may cause spikes in blood sugar.
is coffee good for you

Photo courtesy of www.ronmartin.net

Ultimately, coffee is noted to be a safe choice, even for the nuttiest of health nuts. However, as with pretty much everything else, moderation is key (so none of that “12 cups a day during finals week” BS). Health-conscious students shouldn’t feel any guilt about a cup (or two) per day. I know I won’t — just ask Lisa, my favorite Starbucks barista.