There are times when sushi cravings are just too serious for a la carte orders to satisfy. This is where all-you-can-eat sushi places shine. For a mere $20 to $30, you can eat all the sushi you can, unrestrained by the petty concerns of cash and dignity. Before you start looking up the closest restaurant, I've compiled a few tips to help you enjoy the experience. 

1. Don't starve yourself. 

While it may seem like a good idea, starving yourself the day of will actually shrink your stomach and your appetite. Instead, eat a reasonably sized meal a few hours in advance and drink plenty of water.

2. Don't go alone.  

In the case of all-you-can-eat sushi, the more the merrier. Not only do friends make your impending sushi-induced food coma more tolerable, they also make it possible for you to try a greater variety. The more people you bring, the more different things you can order. 

3. Know what to order. 

sushi, tuna, nigiri, wasabi, rice
Armin Nayak

The key to AYCE sushi is not ordering too much at a time. Pace yourself, and clear your plates before trying to order more. If you plan on having an appetizer, forgo the fried options and rice dishes. Choose something lighter, like a side salad or a bowl of warm miso soup. 

On the actual sushi menu, avoid ordering options with a lot of rice or tempura until your second or third order; they'll only fill you up. Your best choices for all-you-can-eat sushi are sashimi and nigiri. Sashimi consists of fresh, thinly sliced pieces of raw fish, while nigiri is pieces of fish draped over little balls of rice.

For rolls, or maki, the most important thing to have is variety. Try different flavors and textures so that your meal doesn't get monotonous.

4. Save room for dessert. 

As tempting as it is to stuff yourself with sushi, it's a good idea to leave some space for your sweet tooth. Many all-you-can-eat sushi restaurants offer ice cream (or, even better, mochi) and other light desserts. Not only are they usually included in the AYCE price, they give you an excuse to sit back and attempt to digest all the tasty sushi you just consumed. 

5. Be adventurous. 

sushi, tuna, salmon, rice, nigiri
Morgan Goldberg

Sushi is not for picky eaters. Take advantage of the chance to try something new, whether it's your first taste of raw fish, your first piece of octopus, or your first accidental overdose of wasabi. Food should always be an adventure, and all-you-can-eat sushi is no exception.