Tea is a universal drink: over time, it traveled from large countries like China, Japan, and England to the most remote areas of the world. Tea was used in healing ceremonies as well as recreational purposes, such as the famous Japanese tea ceremony. So, the next time you sip your tea, consider how these other countries sip this herbal drink.

1. Japan

world

Photo by Dyan Khor

Mostly known for its high quality, powdered green tea called matcha, Japan celebrates tea through its famous Japanese tea ceremonies. The ceremony features the aesthetics of making tea rather than the act of drinking tea. Many people observing tea ceremonies will notice the pre-determined and fluid movements of those performing in tea ceremonies.

2. United States

world

Photo courtesy of @jerziebarbie on Instagram

America, although it features a hodgepodge of tea influences from around the world, focuses on its trademark Southern sweet tea. The tea, usually made from Lipton tea and sugar, is considered a historical trademark to the South. Add a lemon wedge for a sour kick to this sweet drink.

3. Taiwan

world

Photo by Vi Tran

Bubble tea, or pearl milk tea, has its roots in Taiwan. This now famous twist on tea features small tapioca “pearls” covered in a sugar coating. The tapioca pearls can be taken hot or cold, and is usually paired with milk tea. There have been many modifications made to this traditional Taiwanese tea, including boozy boba.

4. England

world

Photo by Carolyn Hsieh

Across the big Atlantic, England likes to take its tea sweet and creamy. The English tea party concept was rooted in the idea that tea was considered an honored time with matching tea sets, accompanying cakes and pastries, and sugar cubes to compliment the tea.

5. India

world

Photo by Dyan Khor

India features a wide and diverse history of tea, especially in terms of their masala chai tea. It is believed that this chai tea was served throughout Southern Asia many years before the British came and introduced different tea leaves.

6. Russia

world

Photo by Ana Cvetkovic

Russia likes to mix their teas together, especially their different black tea leaves. Using a multi-chamber pot called samovar, the different black tea leaves are brewed in separate chambers and the mixed together for the final tea product.

7. China

world

Photo by Dyan Khor

Considered the source of what we now know as tea, China sips a lot of herbal based tea. Its most popular kind of tea, pu-erh tea, comes in the shape of a ball and is crushed up before steeped in hot water.

8. Morocco 

world

Photo by Julia Murphy

Morocco is mainly known for their mint tea, which symbolizes hospitality. Touareg tea, or Moroccan mint tea, is served three times a day to guests and symbolizes love, life, and death.

9. Argentina

world

Photo courtesy of @mateandcoblends on Instagram

Although not technically a tea since it grows on a bush, yerba mate is considered the drink to have when visiting Argentina. This drink is considered the national drink of Argentina and progressively gets more bitter.

The next time you decide to sip a cup, try changing it up with these different versions of tea from around the world.