It’s no secret that Ben & Jerry’s makes some seriously amazing ice cream. Everyone has their favorite flavor – Phish Food, Chocolate Therapy, The Tonight Dough, Half Baked. And each one is great in sundaes, paired with wine, baked into cookies, or just eaten straight out of the container.

But what you may not know about Ben & Jerry’s is that its founders, Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, are huge political activists. They care about a lot more than just caramel swirls and cookie dough. Some of the issues that they’re most passionate about include proper GMO labeling, climate justice, LGBT equality, Fairtrade, and peace building.

And the newest flavor of Ben & Jerry’s is a result of such political passion. It’s focused entirely on benefitting democracy, perpetuating fair voting practices, and empowering us, the voters. The name of this flavor? Empower Mint.

Photo courtesy of wcti12.com

Empower Mint is a peppermint ice cream loaded with chunks of fudge brownies and swirls of fudge. More importantly, though, it’s loaded with political importance. It was created to reflect the shared belief of Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield that all elections should be “for the people, by the people.” These two ice cream visionaries want to encourage all citizens to exercise their right to vote and to speak out against unfair or corrupt voting practices.

In conjunction with the release of Empower Mint, Ben & Jerry’s has also launched the Democracy Is In Your Hands Campaign in order to “activate citizens to take action for a more equitable and just society.” Both the campaign, and the company as a whole, advocate for the creation of a democracy that benefits and supports people of all races and socio-economic statuses.

Photo courtesy of pbs.twimg.com

Clearly, there’s a lot more to this Ben & Jerry’s flavor than there is to most. So if this cause speaks to you, do something about it. And if it doesn’t, just enjoy your ice cream.