Indulging in your favorite comfort foods doesn’t have to leave you feeling uncomfortable. Treat yourself to these healthy re-creations to satisfy your cravings in a guilt-free way.

Pizza

snacks

Photo by Emily Hu

Pizza, healthy? Dreams do come true. This greasy classic can be healthy when it’s done right. Choose a whole wheat, flatbread or cauliflower crust, pile on the veggies and use a low-fat cheese to cut back on fats.

Fries

snacks

Photo by Grace Stauffer

Rather than chowing down on a plate of fried potatoes, opt for baking your fries to help cut back on some fat. For an even healthier option, use sweet potatoes.

Mozzarella Sticks

snacks

Photo Courtesy of CRW_6201@flickr.com

I can’t think of a more popular comfort food than mozzarella sticks. Baking your mozz sticks instead of frying them and using low-fat cheese are great ways to make this classic a bit better for you. You’ll still get all the cheesy goodness of this classic, just with a little less fat.

Chili

snacks

Photo Courtesy of karenskitchenstories.com

Nothing screams comfort food like a warm bowl of chili. Instead of using beef, opt for turkey meat instead because it will still give you all the rich flavors of this classic. Throw some protein-rich beans and your favorite vegetables in there for an even more nutritious meal. 

Lasagna

snacks

Photo by Keni Lin

Warm layers of pasta and cheese…nothing is more comforting than homemade lasagna. To make this Italian classic a little healthier, use zucchini or eggplant instead of lasagna noodles. If you’re using meat, choose turkey and don’t be afraid to throw veggies into the filling.

Mashed Potatoes

snacks

Photo by Caitlin Shoemaker

Smooth, creamy and warm – very few veggie sides can compare to this classic comfort food.  Squeeze in extra nutrients by using cauliflower instead of potatoes in your recipe. Cauliflower has the same texture as potatoes and adds a sweet, buttery taste, making for a delicious and healthy alternative.

Mac n’ Cheese

snacks

Photo by Kirby Barth

To make a better version of this childhood classic, skip the boxed mixes and make it from scratch. Use greek yogurt in your recipe instead of milk or heavy cream to add protein and cut back on fat. Try to use whole wheat pasta and to incorporate vegetables into your dish if possible.

Looking for more ways to cook healthy? Check out these related articles.