Spoon University Logo

For many of us college students, it’s our first years practically living on our own. That means doing our own cleaning, laundry, and of course, cooking. If you’re like me and have a kitchen in your college living space for the first time, you’ve probably been dealing with the struggles of navigating cooking: what pans to use, how much of each ingredient is appropriate, and how to not set the fire alarm off every time you use the stove. It’s easy enough to cook things like pasta, eggs, and frozen pre-made meals (obviously), but the real difficulties come when it’s time to cook meat. Whether it’s chicken, beef, or pork, cooking meat seems like a job only suitable for an experienced chef. I’ve been avoiding cooking meat myself, in fear that I’ll somehow accidentally eat pink chicken and give myself salmonella. I often opt for frozen Trader Joe’s meals to get my protein intake, but is that even really healthy? Don’t I want to enjoy the amazing flavors of freshly cooked meat? Cooking meat shouldn’t be scary: it’s a fear we can overcome together. I’ve done some research and come up with a complete guide to cooking meat, so you can start grilling chicken thighs and flipping burger patties ASAP.

What meats are the easiest to cook?

Let’s take baby steps as we venture into this meat-cooking journey. The first piece of meat you’re going to cook is not going to be for a pot roast. There are plenty of meats that are easier to cook than others. 

If you’re scared of not being able to tell if meat is cooked all the way through, then ground beef is the best meat to start with. This is because you can easily tell when ground beef is cooked: it turns from a bright pink color to a darker brown color when cooked. Plus, you can turn ground beef into a variety of foods, such as burger patties, meatballs, and meat for tacos. Check out these recipes for giant meatballs, for example. With some 85% lean ground beef, you can whip up a meal as delicious as this one.

Chicken is also an easy meat to cook. The best way to do it as a beginner is to simmer it in a liquid on the stove top, essentially braising it. Cooking it over low heat allows you to easily tell if there’s any raw meat left. The chicken will cook slowly, so you can tell that it’s safe to eat once it starts to fall apart or is easy to shred with a fork. Plus, making the chicken in a liquid keeps it from getting dry. So even if you’re overly cautious and leave it on the stove for a little too long, it won’t be too dry. There’s plenty of easy chicken recipes, such as various types of chicken and rice meals, chicken breasts, and even Thai chicken curry.

How do I know the meat is cooked all the way through?

It depends on what meat you’re cooking. If you’re a numbers type of person, consider getting a meat thermometer. That way, you can check that the meat is the right temperature for consumption. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the minimum temperature for the meats go as follows: ground beef is 160°F, poultry is 165°F, and beef, pork, lamb, and veal is 145°F, specifically for roasts, chops, and steaks. 

You can also tell if meat is cooked just by looking at it. If there’s pink, it’s definitely not cooked all the way through. You can also check the color of the juice by piercing the thickest part of the meat you’re cooking. If the juice is clear, your meat is safe to eat. If you cut open your meat and it’s steaming, that means your meat is hot — and cooked — all the way through.

What are some easy recipes for beginner meat cookers?

Even after all of this advice, you probably still don’t feel ready to cook a filet mignon, and that’s okay. There’s plenty of other meat recipes that are way easier to make. TikToker Ryan Brenner walks you through how to cook a delicious steak as a beginner chef. It’s so easy that anyone can do it, even someone who’s never cooked meat.

If a steak feels too ambitious, try cooking some chicken. TikToker Kendriyana Wilson shows you how to whip up a flavorful, quick, and easy meal using some chicken breasts.

@kendriyanawilson

The simple beginniner friendly recipes have a special place in my heart 🥹 #cookwithme

♬ original sound – Kendriyana 🌷

Cooking pork also doesn’t have to be hard. Who says you can’t fry up some pork belly? TikToker Penny Allen demonstrates how easy it is to make pork belly, and it looks so delicious. 

Hopefully, after all of these tips, tricks, and recipes, you feel prepared to face your fears and take on cooking meat. Happy cooking!

Amanda Brucculeri is the fall editorial intern for Spoon University, where she covers food news and emerging trends. Beyond Spoon University, Amanda works as the podcast editor for Boston University News Service, where she oversees a team of reporters covering news through audio. She also writes for the city column of The Buzz Magazine, and is the host of a true crime radio show on WTBU student radio. She is currently a junior at Boston University, majoring in journalism with a minor in public relations. In her free time, she enjoys curating playlists, trying new restaurants, and watching movies.